1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Creeping Charlie

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by TheKingOfLawns, Jun 25, 2008.

1. TheKingOfLawns

TheKingOfLawns LawnSite Member

How the HELL do I get rid of creeping charlie?

Live in Illinois, and it's TERRIBLE, been battling it for many years. Pulled up huge sections of it, always comes back, taking up entire sections of 1 acre yard. It's out of control. Weed and feed does nothing, TrueQUEEN applicationes, doing nothing.

How do I stop this for good, going to loose the whole lawn!
  2. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Try Momentum FX from Lesco applied witn a handcan.
  3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

this will stop it cold. Go one step and throw in some sticker and quicksilver if you wanna get crazy. But, momentum alone should stop it.
  4. Seacoast

Seacoast LawnSite Member
    from Maine

I agree, have had good success on ground ivy with Momentum and some sticker. Sometimes it takes a few applications, it is tenacious!
  5. cstevenson26

cstevenson26 LawnSite Member

agreed. a liquid product will work much better than a weed and feed granule. ive used mechamine-d before with good results. timing is key too. best application time is when its flowered.
  6. vwpower44

vwpower44 LawnSite Member

I just got rid of CC in my yard a couple of months ago. I sprayed the sports with WeedBGone Max. It killed the CC, then I pulled all of it out by hand. Reseeded the bare spots. I still have a little CC that came through with the grass but I keep going through and pulling it. I am going to spay again to kill the rest once my new grass has matured. I try weed and feed last year, and it didn't work. I was told to compete the weed to death with new grass, and it seams like it is working.
  7. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

I have treated many yards with Ground Iny, Creeping Charlie, Creeping Jenny, whatever you want to call it. I have used Speedzone, various Three-Ways and Momentum Fx-2. Momentum Fx-2 works best with a spreader sticker, no doubt about it. Mix it so you apply 1.3 ozs per 1000 Sq. Ft. You will need to do it again in the fall after the first hard frost. To fill in the areas of the lawn just fertilize it with a good slow release once in late spring and once in the fall and then use a non slow release product around Halloween. For your purposes you could do it now, Labor Day and Halloween. Oh, and keep it watered if possible.
  8. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I use the Momentum FX and add the hawkeye surfactant with great results. Recent Ohio state data showed Nutsedge kill with Momentum and Hawkeye, gonna give it a try this year.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

hit it with coolpower and a surfactant in the fall when the stuff is realy feeding and you probly wont need a 2nd app. never tried the FX. cost a good penny doesn't it?
  10. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

KOL, are you a contractor or homowner? If a contractor where are you getting your supplies from? You are not in my service area but I can help if you need it. How big an area are you treating