1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Creeping Ivy

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by NC Scaper, Sep 17, 2004.

1. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

What is the best stuff to use on creeping ivy (ground ivy) and what is the approximate cost
  2. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

an ester 3 way works pretty good. I use cool power by riversdale. You need to watch your temps. A good amine is millenium ultra but the label is or has changed not to be used on residential turf. Check your supplier to see if the have any available with residential turf left. My supplier stock piled it when they heard the label change was coming.
    Price is around 38 bucks a gal at around 1.1 oz per 1000

Never expect complete control in one app. It will take a couple.
  3. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

Any thing with dicambium in it works best. Usually it takes 3 shots to rid of it. Used it all the time in a powdered form at the golf course. Safest way is a three way herbicide.
  4. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Recent study at Purdue has shown that all ground ivy is not the same in responding to herbicide control. Over two years of research were spent on samples from different states. Some samples were controlled well by 2-4,D, others were not hurt at all by it. Same story with other specific herbicides. Best combo in my book is triclopyr and 2-4,D. When we had Turflon D in thre early 90s, I wiped out all ground ivy on my properties. Gallery can control spreading by inhibiting rooting from nodes. Timing is a key in all circumstances. Oct 1 - Nov 1 apps in West Lafayette, IN were best results for any herbicide. These dates will vary with your own climate.

Basic input at Purdue info. If you want details on research, go to purdue.edu and search (on home page) for "ground ivy" - any docs with Eric Kohler mentioned will get you some more details of his research.
  5. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Most ester formulations with dicamba work well in fall for ground ivy control, Chaser or Cool Power both work fairly well.
  6. I have used Momentum to control Ground Ivy with good results. It does take a few treatments thought.
  7. NC Scaper

NC Scaper LawnSite Member

About how many treatments ya think I might be looking at so I can price accordingly. thank you all for your advise, it is greatly appreciated!
  8. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I used SpeedZone and it completely wiped out the ground ivy in ONE application. Caution hazard (SpeedZone) vs. Danger hazard (Momentum). Water and rain safe 3 hours after applying. Fantastic!!! :blob3:
  9. "About how many treatments ya think I might be looking at so I can price accordingly."

I don't know, it would depend on the size of the area you are going to treat and if you can treat the whole patch.

Momentum will require more then one treatment, also you should use a spreader sticker.

Speedzone works well also, even if it about twice as expensive.
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

We use a combo of 3 way and Confront. Have had excellent results here with it. It DOES take a few apps though. This is because of the growth habit of ground ivy.