1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crepe myrtle in South Ga

Discussion in 'Tree Climbing, Pruning, Felling' started by gulfjoe, Dec 21, 2013.

1. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

When is the best time to trim Crepe Myrtles? How much do you take off?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Once they go dormant is when I trim them. Some customers like them trimmed way back, others don't. Trim accordingly. You can't hurt them either way.

3. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

Best time? February.

They are very forgiving and you can hack them way back...though, many people call this Crepe murder. The larger the cut, the more likely wood decay can set in.

Proper pruning would be cutting small branches and try to keep them under about an inch. What is proper and what is common practice often get mixed up when people are keeping up with the Joneses.

In a perfect world you'd have a cultivar that's mature size fit the planting location.

4. gulfjoe

gulfjoe LawnSite Bronze Member

So I can prune any branch under 1" in diameter in Feb?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. New2TheGreenIndustry

from GA

Sure, is it needs it. What are you trying to accomplish by pruning? I'd consider removing lower branches to give better shape, also remove any crossing branches.

6. New2TheGreenIndustry

from GA

*if* it needs it.

7. Skipster

Skipster LawnSite Bronze Member

Lots of good advice here. If I could add anything, it would be just a general landscape tidbit to check out when flower buds set on a landscape plant before pruning. Spring flowering plants generally set flower buds in the fall, while summer flowering plants generally set them in the spring. Pruning your crape myrtles in the winter doesn't reduce flowering because flower buds are produced in the spring. But, if you were to prune your azaleas or dogwoods in the winter, they wouldn't have many flowers in the spring, since their flower buds are set in the fall and the pruning would cut them off.

Great topic!

8. Assuming these are in the right place meaning they don't need to be hacked back all I would do is removing lower branches as stated, crossing branches, and branches growing straight up or back into the canopy. If a Crape is in the right spot they generally don't need much pruning besides what I and others have already mentioned.