1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crepe Myrtle Removal

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Gudtimes, Dec 20, 2011.

1. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

A condo complex I maintain has asked me to quote on removing 57 of their crepe myrtles. They were planted in the median areas between the driveways which is only about 3 feet wide and the homeowners are complaining about them blocking their parking area and dropping the flowers. I don't really get into too much tree work, but now that it is winter here, any supplemental income is good.

The trees are roughly 4 inches max in diammeter and 14 feet tall. They are looking to have them just cut off at the base. Again, there are 57 of them! My thought is to rent a chipper and just shoot the debris into the back of my dump truck.

Any ideas on pricing? Thanks in advance!

crepe.jpg

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

If you cut them at the base, they will grow back.

You need to either cut and grind (which will be somewhat difficult in that narrow space with concrete on both sides) or remove the trees completely. I'd suggest renting an excavator and pulling/ digging the trees out.

Not sure what type of truck you have, but you may be better off to rent a dumpster or to try to find a local tree company who will pick up, chip, and haul away the debris for you.

Good luck!

3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Cutting them off at the base only slows them down. Removing will include getting all the roots out.

4. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Right on the Money Chase. There will be suckers sprouting from the bases in a week! Maybe better off subbing the job out and making a lil profit.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

I have already discussed the possibility of the sucker growth with the homeowners association and they have expressed that they are not trying to have the stumps ground down or the trees completely removed with the thought of possibly doing damage to the driveways. They would rather pay to have the suckers cut off weekly instead of other property damage.

6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Well in that case, it sounds like money in the bank for you. Just rent a tow behind chipper for yur dump truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

Right, that's the plan. I'm just looking for pricing suggestions.

8. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

Your hourly rate x the number of total hours it will take you (include your drivetime) plus your materials x 1.30 markup. That's your price.

9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Put a chain or cable around the bese and pull them out. The roots are very shallow on those and they will pull out easly. Then just feed the them into the chipper, root end first and you are done. no regrowth to fool with, no pavement damage, and no unsightly stumps left. I might charge about $20.00 or $30.00 each, plus the rental cost of the chipper, and any dump fees for the chips.

10. Gudtimes

Gudtimes LawnSite Member
    from VA

Yeah, I had thought about chaining them and ripping them out with my kubota, but I'm also thinking the trunks a too smooth and the chain with just slip.