crepe myrtle trees?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by d.m.d., Apr 16, 2007.

1. d.m.d.

d.m.d. LawnSite Member

i have 2 trees, i think they are crepe myrtle trees.they looked great last year but i cant even see any buds on them as of yet.are these late bloomers?

2. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

As late and cool as this spring has been, they have budded out later down here. Some varieties have fully leafed out, others are budding now.

3. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Still to early. Need some steady warmth to get them to sprout out.

4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

No buds here yet. They need long periods of warmth. here we get a week of good warm weather and all of a sudden a week of cold nastyness. Everything is screwed up on timming this year.

5. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

dmd, when did they bloom last year? Mid to late summer? They form buds on new wood, so as the plant grows this spring it will set new flower buds for that summer flower show. If there is any dead wood, that should be pruned out now, as well as any other pruning that may need to be done.

Kirk

6. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

There are some around here that are practically bare , which is most unusual - late freeze really set them back . Some people cut them back severely (crepe murder) and the freeze hit just as new shoots were emerging - some may not survive both shocks , but they are very hardy plants and yours should be fine.