Crew Expenses, How Do They Pay

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cwlawley, Apr 26, 2006.

1. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Well, it has been a long day. Normally I give my business checkcard to my second crew to fill up the truck with gas, buy drinks if needed, or supplies.

Today, one of my guys used this card to withdraw close to $1300.00 out of the ATM. I know, stupid me, but what do you other companies do to get your crews money for needed items?

2. jbone

jbone LawnSite Member

maybe you should control the spending limit on the card you give to the crews. For large expenses use a diff card with a higher spending limit, make sure they get your approval and then hand it to them or go buy the supplies (other than gas) yourself.

3. Choctaw Scalper

Choctaw Scalper LawnSite Member

First thing I would do is go buy a bat! Then when you clean up call the bank. Most banks have a $500 limit on an ATM to stop things like this from happening.

4. E&MLandscapeServices

E&MLandscapeServices LawnSite Member

I dont think I would have given him the PIN to the card... let them use it as a debit/check card - no cash withdrawals.

5. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Yea and let them but thier own drinks and snacks..you need to check back on your bills now to see what else they may have been doing to rip you off!

6. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

They still need the PIN to use it as a debit/check card. However, if they use it as a credit card, they only need to sign for their purchases. Just tell the store clerk to run it as a credit card and they will (ususally).

Another option, less convenient, but you could write a check for their purchases. You could fill it out except for the $$ and then they can only take it to the store you fill it out to. Just an idea.

7. brjohnso

brjohnso LawnSite Member

Use cash... easy to estimate drinks, snacks, and gas.

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Why do you have to ask, this is theft, plain and simple.

First, ask for the money back. Yes, any of it. All would be nice but we know what happened, right? Yeah, so any of it, more is better.
    Second, call the police and press charges. I think it's Grand Larceny but I really don't care, let the cops decide what to file.
    Then, fire the guilty one and all accomplices.

9. Paradise Landscapes

Paradise Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I would confront them in my office. If any of them smirk, just hold them there till the police came. Tell someone to be listening on the convesation and use a password to summon that person to call the police. If you call them they may just run. Don't know but, let the police handle it.

10. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

You didn't screw this guy out of his check or anything like that did you? You say "one of my guys" like you are not upset or expected it.

As to how to prevent this in the future from happening is to get a fleet card that pays only for gas and oil, needs an odometer reading and PIN # to work. You can set limits as well. Any Shell for example can do this.