Crew feels like I should be helping, thought?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dkeisala, Aug 15, 2006.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

For some reason, the crew that I pay to go out and work in the field, has this feeling that I should be helping them perform the work.

There's nothing out there that I haven't done. I ask them to do nothing that I wouldn't do myself. I've spent huge sums of money on the right equipment to make their jobs as easy of possible. When I was doing the work, I wasn't so well equipped.

These are the same guys that whine about getting more hours and making more money. Sure, I can do the work but then I need one less of them and quite frankly, I hired them so I wouldn't have to work in the field.

So, short of firing them, any ideas on how to motivate and make them understand that they have a job to do and I pay them to do that job so I don't have to?

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

Just tell them exactly what you said above. I can come out and work but who decides on which one gets the pink slip. Plain and simple you are the boss, they don't dictate what you do. IMO.:waving:

3. mkirby

mkirby LawnSite Member

Had the same problem. The more you give, the more they want. Yes I find it amusing that they want more hours but more help.
    Mike

4. Green Acres

Green Acres LawnSite Senior Member

I agree just tell them if you come out of the office one of them will have to go. Also let them know what your doing during the day, so they don't think that your just sitting in the office in the ac. I know it shouldn't matter because your paying them put it does. To be honest your probably putting more hours in a week then them with paperwork and bids, let them know that. If they think they could run a company they would be.

5. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

This one is kinda obvious.
    There's only one reason an employee would DARE say that. You're their buddy, not their boss. I understand being friendly and all but, some people see weakness when you try to be friendly.
    You are S.O.L.
    I don't think you can put toothpaste back in the tube, your employees are ruined in my opinion.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

This is easy. Have them individually explain to you why he feels you should be out there with them.

7. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

All very good points so far.

Anyone think that it has to do with my business being home based? It seems to me that everyone from clients to employees feel since a business is home based, it's somehow less of a "real" business.

8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

So? Let them have all the little feelings they want.
    Tuff!

9. Quail Creek LC

Quail Creek LC LawnSite Member
    from IOWA

THARREL said it all. Your to nice to them. If you have to, replace one of them with someone new to set an example that they might be next. They need a little fear put into them:laugh: :laugh:

10. dhatcher

dhatcher LawnSite Member

Nothing motivates better than receiving job applications and conducting interviews