Crew leader or lead man responsibilities

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tazman, Apr 13, 2001.

1. tazman

tazman LawnSite Member

Curious to see what responsibilities people give their lead guy or crew leader and what you pay them. I have a guy that has been with me 2 years and I pay him $12/hr as my lead guy. I am starting to think he needs to be doing more. He is missing things on accounts that he should be familiar with and just not using his head sometimes. Don't get me wrong, he works good, but maybe he isn't cut out for directing people. Just like some input from the gallery. Thanks.
  2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

This may sound wrong but I in other jobs and areas I have found that the best leader may not always be the hardest worker or most knowledgable in the field. Not that you want someone who knows nothing. A good crew leader has skills on motivating and directing his workers. I run my own crew most of the time. If not me then my brother does. I know I am the boss and I will work right with my guys. Still as crew leader I expect them to do the extras. Loading and unlading, trimming, cleaning etc. I can't stand to see my crew standing around if I take a minute to talk to a customer or make a phone call. Remember a good crew leader will maximize your profits.
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

its hard to find the natural leader at that level.
    id stay with him an just start having a weeks work chat with him on friday evening. some questions and answers but mostly just give a clear idea of problems an goals etc
    that you want to focus on.
  4. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

I agree with awm to some degree, but have those chats on Monday morning while the week is still fresh. Also make sure he does'nt have a new substance abuse problem. Poor work all of a sudden is one of the first signs. Be direct with him about your concerns and good luck. Russ
  5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Well lets face it, what can you really expect from a guy making 12 bucks an hour? Pay someone more money, and maybe you will get some better results
  6. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

A crew leader should be self-motivated and have the ability to motivate others. He should know your budget for each and every job and be able to work within it. We pay crew leaders $600.00 plus per week. A good one is worth every penny!
    JLSLLC likes this.