Crew Members No Show

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Americal Vet, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

I've got some guys that have been with me from day one, and then once in awhile I get a guy or two that end up as no shows for work. Most of the time it's because they just got paid and end up at the bar all night and can't make it to work. Not so bad if they call and let me know, but without good reason they get the boot. One of the guys I let go today tried to blame it all on me saying that his family will go hungry because of me. Then he had the nerve to say he's starting his own business and will undercut everything I do because he know's what I charge. Does anyone else have trouble recruiting/hiring and then retaining quality employees? :confused: Just needed to rant some, it's been one of those days.

2. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got 1 guy working for me, and my partner. We pay him very well. We work 4 days a week, 40 total hours. He gets paid $500 cash, we buy his lunch every day, and we supply him with a Cell phone. He is the best worker Ive ever seen. Worth EVERY penny. You better believe he is waiting for us EVERY TIME!

3. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

If they don't work out, cut 'em loose. Once you see a 'pattern' of no-showing develop then it's time to find someone else.

4. delphied

delphied LawnSite Silver Member

In other words, he is happy with his pay and wants to keep the job.

5. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

if you ever get rid of him sign me up for that job

6. ACA L&L

ACA L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

no doubt brotha, i could use that kinda a cash weekly. Where were u 10 years ago.....id still be mowing for someone else. Instead im on a first name basis with Parole officers and uncle sam!!

7. hess

hess LawnSite Member

Thats why i'm solo don't have to worry about any problems!

8. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

Cash? How good is that for your accountant. Once in a while, in a blue moon, but every week ;)

9. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I've gone thru 3 people in 2 weeks. They get paid, they don't show. They work cuz they need quick cash and thats it. I fired a neighbor cuz he felt he was worth $2 more per hour because at 27 years of age, no one should work for less than $16 an hour LOL.

It has been a nightmare year for us with employees. I had a big installation booked. I promised this customer the moon and stars. I even booked 2 extra employees for the day as back up. I offered them $25 per hour with a 6 hour minimum to make sure they showed. Guess what..............one person showed. Lazy bastards! Just recently, I found out that my one of our competitions sons was in need of work. His father recommended him (highly). He is 18 as of yesterday and is a scratch golfer. He is amazing. He grew up getting up at 630am to work and he doesn't stop.

This week, I bought his lunch everyday, drinks, and I will throw in 2 extra hours per day towards his golfing (he wants to turn pro). Hasn't let me down and his work ethic is second to none.

10. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

Now thats the way to keep a good employee happy. Treat them good and its the best investment you can make. I just wish all companies shared your philosophy.