Crew mowing "other" lawns

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Gene $immons, May 5, 2005.

1. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you know if your crew is mowing lawns during the day that are not your customers? When I was on the crew, people would occasionally pull up and ask if we could mow their lawn, usually wanting a one time cut. I don't suspect anything, but if someone ran out waiving cash for a quickie mow, I wonder what my guys would do.

2. greenwithenvylandscape

greenwithenvylandscape LawnSite Member

Ask a neighbor of one of your accounts to get them to mow and see what they do.

3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I always wondered the same thing. I have one part-time helper that I thought I could trust 100%. Then one day he pulls the rig in and starts unloading, turns to me and hands me $40 and said "Mrs. Smith's neighbor came out and desperately needed to be cut, so I quoted her a price of $35 and she gave me $40, so here it is" I was pleasantly surprised. For his honesty, and not to mention taking the extra step to quote AND mow an extra yard, I floated him $10. We were both happy. After that I knew I COULD trust him 100%

4. wrestlingcoach

wrestlingcoach LawnSite Senior Member

Just had my guy call me and said next door neighbor to the house he was doing wanted his front lawn mowed he quoted $20 , the guy didn't want it

I was happy that he told me and he is very trustworthy and honest!

the funny thing was I read this thread 20 minutes before he called

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Try addressing the situation with your employees. Tell them what to do and how to handle the situation if it arises.

6. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I've made a habit of always checking on my guys during the day. I just check in, see if they need anything. They never know when I'm going to show up. So far, I've never caught them doing any non-customers. If people stop them, they usually just pass along a business card and tell them to speak to me first. The worth while people understand.

7. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

Appartently about four years back i had 25 clients that i never new about, when they called the next season to set up service i told them i had never heard of them and they explained trhat they had been using are company the past season and paid cash each week, they always wondered why they never recieved a statement, needless to say i replaced the members of that crew, they were doing an extra 5 yards a day at 30 apiece they ecah de an extra 75 each day on me , since then i have addressed the issue and trust my employees, or should i say they have earned my trust, and i compensate them accordingly so they have incentive to report new business, plus, i do have people radomly ask for service that i set up, and i do randomly show up, you can only trust someone so much, hey i am the only one losing money. Keep an eye on your guys, got some good ones now i am lucky after almost 10 years
    AK Lawn

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Good for you.
    This is important.......I think most times it occurs due to lack of decent compensation, which in some measure relates to poor loyalty and attitude.
    That's not to say that money is a cure all, it's just one piece of the puzzle.

9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I'm a crew leader for Wriken and I pick up new accounts all the time. I look at it this way, I'm making money for him plus I also have job security :)

10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Put a GPS tracking system in the truck . They have passive systems that you just download at the end of the day , you will see how long and where the truck was .