Crew size and equipment decisions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thomaslawn, Sep 21, 2007.

1. thomaslawn

thomaslawn LawnSite Member

I am in the process of making some decisions for the 2008 season. Currently we service roughly 60-70 customers per week. I have a crew of 2 guys going out twice per week. They are utilizing a 52 ztr, and a 21" mower. When the route is tight they can service 15-20 per day. I also have an employee that takes out a truck solo with a 21" mower and services roughly 10-12 once per week. ( small yards) I service the remainder of the accounts.

I have the following equipment:

1 5x10 trailer
    1 52" Bobcat ztr
    1 36" Exmark Metro
    5 21" mowers
    Blowers / Trimmers / Various tools
    1 2002 Nissan
    1 1985 Chevy Silverado

I am planning on adding another crew next year, but I am debating my equipment/trailer strategy. If I were to purchase a 6x12 trailer I could combine the 52 & 36 with 2 employees and hopefully have a production number of 60-75 yards per week.

In order to keep costs down I am thinking that the 5x10 trailer crew would utilize the 36 and 21 mowers. By marketing to primarily 12,000 sq ft. yards or less hopefully a crew of 2 could service 50-60 per week.

Any comments and help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This is a strange set-up with guys only working a couple days.....why can't you have one crew with 3 guys do the entire thing including the ones you do and be doen with it.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You got my vote on the 6x12, that's what I use, single axle.
    Get a nice ones with some sides, you'll love it, way more space.

4. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

Need bigger trailer.

Need to utilize your time management skills better with the people you have

Maybe combine the work load b/t crew 1 & crew 2 therefore having 1 crew of 3 guys - leaving yoruself to help out, chase jobs, chase money, and just chase!