1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crew size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chrisbolte, Oct 26, 2000.

1. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

How many people do you believe is best in a crew? I believe 2 is best but three is also very reasonable. I see some guys come out with 10 guys and I think they are crazy. It takes 5 min alone to get everyone out of the trucks. We like to use 2 on normal days and will go to 3 when we are extreamily busy or after a couple of days of rain.
  2. Getmow

Getmow LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Two person crews seem to work best. One person crew is the most profitable and I do that a couple of days a week. The only times I run a three person crew is when someone calls out or during heavy work loads (like leaves).
  3. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I think there has been some calculations in a magazine on this and came up with three being the most efficient..it has been for us.
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I belive your all right on the 2 to 3 person crews, depending on size. Some of the bigger condos we maintain 3 people would be best but then you go to the residential size homes 2 person crew would probly be better. As far as getting more bang for your buck yourself and one other would be a good money maker, (less cost on insurance, workers comp, and there wages) We run 2-3 person crew with at times a 4th person and like I siad its all where your working.
  5. Stinger

Stinger LawnSite Senior Member

Many factors to consider. Small to adverage size yard 1 mower and 1 trimmer in front and same in rear = 4 man crew will cut around 200 lawns a week. Big lawns & commercial properties can uitlize more manpower so add two more guys to = 6 man crew. If you have a mix of large and small properties a smaller crew is fine. Just drop off one guy to start a large property. Then go nock out some nearby jobs. Return later to finish up. There is nothing wrong with a 2,3,4,5,or 6 man crew. It all depends on the type and size of properties you have, combined with the equipment & work flow. Trial and error is the best way to judge. I do mostly landscaping but will sometimes take a truck full of guys with me to mow because they are allready paid for the day from a morning landscape job.
  6. T.C.O.B.

T.C.O.B. LawnSite Member
    from Zone 9

I have found that two can get the job done, but three brings out the quality! Depends on your accounts!
  7. Mark_Christopher

Mark_Christopher LawnSite Member

As many guys it takes to make your life (Owner / Supervisor) Easier. I do residential at the momment. Started off by doing it all on my own. Now I have a helper helping me. Iam working my butt off trying to build build clientele so i can eventually get another helper. Then, build build build for clients and get another helper. Then like the guy said in the post before, drop two guys off where i have about 7 houses in a row, then knock off a couple down the other street. Then build build build.... That's the way you do it....

8. Rodg

Rodg LawnSite Member

I find as others have mentioned, one man crews are the most profitable while a two man crew is about the most efficient, When I am running on my 1+ acre properties, a 3 man crew seems to get us done faster. By the time I get all the trimming done, the other two are finished mowing. I guess the factors involved (like lawn size, trimming, personal, etc.), make each lawn service react differently. I think it depends on the job and the individual talents of your people.
  9. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

My experience is owner with "helper" is most proffitable combo. Helper needs to be someone that can go out solo when you are sick with flu etc.. Three man crew does result in more manicured properties. Four man crew and up if maintaining condos & bigger dollar commercial properties that pay on annual contract. Large contractor in my area with 10 plus employees says he longs for good ol days with just one helper. Seems the grass is always greener in the yard next door.
  10. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

I do alot of my work myself but I do use another person somtimes and have had three. Two seems to be the most efficient for small properties but the three works best on the large ones.