1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

crew?? where to find good workers??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mhaysmow, Dec 14, 2005.

1. mhaysmow

mhaysmow LawnSite Member

hey everyone need a little help right now im solo and this coming spring i will be needing a couple of workers to put on a new job. wanting to get some help on how to go about finding workers. Is putting a ad in the paper a good idea? where else does anyone find guys for there crew?
    thanks mitchell

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

Pull in to the local "union hall", hold up two fingers, and say "trabahadors".

BALDEAGLE LawnSite Member

THEN... try to look at yourself,in the mirror....what do ya see...

I know where this is going and I don't want to jack this thread. Start a new thread and we can argue there. Not like this is a new subject.:p :waving: And I am serious about my advice.
  5. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

What the He!! is trahabadors :confused: ? your spanish sucks :p ! No wonder you can't get help. The labor market is thin, I have had -0- luck from the newspapers the last few times. I got quite a few responses from jobbing .com The response is instant, put in the add and start receiving e-mails immediately and you can deal with it on your schedule no phone interruptions. with all that said I had one guy last for a while and he ended up instigating a fight with another employee :nono: . So he is gone. I have got one good employee from here LawnSite. I also made up fliers and posted on community collage campus got one guy from that, turned out to be a Nazi, very intelligent but trouble with one of my Jewish guys :eek: . He didn't last. At my business coaches advise I carry a few business cards that say on the back "you have impressed me with your customer service if you need a change please call". I met a really polite guy at McyD's and gave him the card he called within 30 minutes very nice ex military thought he would be great turned out to be peculiar . Evidently he had these howling spells, :dizzy: like a wolf the guys said. Ended up getting in a big argument about someone stealing his sandwich, this bunch are not practical jokers so he was gone :waving: . I forgot to mention I drug test my guys, do an IQ test and visual test, and do a background checks too before I hire. So I guess what I'm saying is it's a lot of luck to get good employees. One of the best guys I found was asking for an application at a Mobil gas station. I told him you don't want to work there. Hop in and I will put you to work now. The guy worked for me for about 4 years. But that was back in the day. Good luck. :)

What the He!! is trahabadors ? your spanish sucks ! No wonder you can't g
    get help.

I get help just fine. The Union Hall is always full. I never said I spoke fluent Amigo and obviously have trouble spelling it. The word "trabajadors" mean workers. After reading your post I think you should listen to what I'm saying. I think this thread just got jacked anyway.:cool:
  7. cborden

cborden LawnSite Member
    from 46140

If you are serious about needing help, go ask at a fire department. Most career firefighters can always use part-time work, and are used to being in the public eye and have no fear of hard work.
  8. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Around here they are already in the business part time for themselves.
  9. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

I agree, firemen usually are doing this on the side around here.
  10. launboy

launboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from indiana

go to your local college or put add in the paper. Its trial and error good luck