Crews with WallyMart Mowers vs Pro?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Tim Wright, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I am here working on new large contract for 2008, as well as crunching numbers for residential senerios, labor, insurance, workmans crock, etc.

When looking at larger apartment complexes, the time it takes and the equipment I am paying for, labor etc, I would almost have to take on double what I can handle just to cover all cost, at fair market value for this area.

And, I am thinking of shooting for x number of residentials, having lower cost labor knock them out with WallyMart push mowers, take the money pay off my ZTR's etc, and then upgrade to other units like WB's etc.

If I can get a good number of condo and townhouse yards for $35.00 a crack, which could be knocked out quickly, well the picture becomes clear.

How many of you have such routes and schedules with throw away mowers?

Tim

2. CFLS

CFLS LawnSite Member

I think you can make it work with small yards. I have a 22" murray I've been using on backyards for 4yrs without problems. Right now I only have one client with a backyard that can't be done with my 66" Hustler.

3. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

good luck getting them for 35 a crack when they're is 10 other companies who will do em for 20. We we doing cookie cutters this year for as well as 15 a yard to keep up, ofcourse i would do 4-5 at least per stop it was still quick, its next to impossible to keep up with the low ballers in the area.

4. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a fact. Everyone and their brother is on the scene.

Tim

5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i think you are making a huge mistake.
    the lifespan of the commercial mowers make them cheaper to operate in the long run than residential mowers.

also if you have to take on that much work to cover your costs then you either have your costs way out of line, you misunderstand your market, or are in the wrong market.

We have postage stamp lawns here (50X100 lots with 4500 sqft houses)...
    I hear guys all the time saying that they cannot charge more than $25.00/yard because they would not have any business.....BS... we have over 200 yards at a $40.00 minimum, and most are more than that. A crew of 2 can mow $200K/year worth of grass.... How can that not cover your costs?

6. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

wow! $15? I think if it comes to that around here I will get a job at Wal-Mart. At least I would have a paycheck with no expenses to cover.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

guys....

you don't have to compete with lowballers.....

no matter where you are, every area has people that will pay more for reliable quality service. That is the client you need to market to.
    Is Do you see expensive cars in your area? are there expensive resturants there, how about expensive clothes stores????? if you have the people there to support these stores then you have the clients to support your business.

8. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

so you are charging $40 to mow 500 sq ft of grass? and you have over 200 of these? Gosh, we need more stupid customers like that around here!

9. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

ok let me back up here.. obviously these are not single story homes so probably mowing 2300 sq ft of grass. STILL, that would NEVER fly around here for $40 for a lawn that size.

10. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

We just did a big bid on condos that are currently under construction, so we were forced to bid by unit and not area. They came in at around $26.50 per unit. The turf areas were averaging 4000 ft2.