1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by NightScenes, Nov 17, 2007.

1. NightScenes

NightScenes LawnSite Silver Member

How many guys here have install and or service crews? I'm busy selling and designing projects and do very little hands-on installation anymore. I have recently lost a couple of guys so right now I have 4 guys taking care of installs and maintenance. I know that I need at least 1 more guy. Next year I may need to hire another install crew but I don't know if I want to keep up with the pace that would be required.

What are your thoughts?
  2. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 full time and 1 part time employees and they handle 75-100 fixtures a week. I am staying at this level for a while but really don't want more crews. I can realy stay on these guys, train, help out with technical stuff. I probably am going to put on a full time guy just for maintenance though in spring.
  3. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

No crews here. Not sure I ever want any.

I think there are a few reasons there. Communication issues being one of them but also I feel when a client hires me I shouldn't send a group of guys to their property. I do use laborers to help out with the physically demanding parts of the job especially in summer.

I like being the one man show. If I ever got so busy I was unable to handle it myself I would add a few full time guys but I will always be on each and every job site the entire time for installations. Perhaps a stand alone guy for maint/service but I like the quality control I provide each and every client. I think it separates us from the competition.
  4. Pro-Scapes

Tommy, If it takes 2 guys a week to install 75-100 fixtures either your installs are insane difficult or your guys are slow. I think you mentioned South tahoe as a project. Sounds pretty difficult :) Did you by chance do that 31 room house in emerald bay ? I will be out that way in the spring to do a special job in mariposa.
  5. The Lighting Geek

Well...I must be honest, they are in training. Frankly I am still training too. I am with them quite a bit and like to make everything is perfect. I also seem to attract the jobs with tough applications AND I have a thing for gadgets too. So I probably slow the process trying new stuff. But if I get my act together here someday, maybe we can do 200-250 a week. LOL
  6. Pro-Scapes

I hear ya. Some jobs that would seemily be quick take forever. Man thoes tahoe jobs have got to be tough with the solid rock! Gadgets are cool. I like em as well as the next geek but often times in the time we wasted with our gadgets good old fashioned work would of done the job.

I don't know a dedicated pro out there that is still not in training. The quest for knowledge, technique and materials is on going training. The day you stop striving to further that knowledge is probably about the time you should retire or sell off your business. Even the best wont remain at the top unless they keep up the learning and training.
  7. The Lighting Geek

OK, so here is the truck I use, with bed slider and demo kits. Some tf are out right now in demo's.

truck pics 001 small.jpg

truck pics 005 small.jpg

truck pics 006 small.jpg
  8. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Sweet--very clean and practical. You'd probably land jobs just for the professionalism. lol

I am getting a matching set of boxes to hold everything, what are those black containers? Please tell more about your gadgets.

9. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

Is this your indirect way of telling me you are going to try to put me to work when I visit you in Feb 08 :)
  10. niteliters

niteliters LawnSite Senior Member

Paul, I think you are going to be able to answer your own question soon. Do you want to keep up the pace? Another question. Are you operating your business as efficiently as you want to? Are certain aspects of your business falling thru the cracks? I know some of your service is starting to roll over from your three year guarentee. Is that under control. I'll be able to give you more educated thoughts this winter my friend.