Crimping Straw/Hay

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by llllllll, Feb 22, 2008.

1. llllllll

llllllll LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a good way to crimp straw/hay after seeding ?
    I dont want to buy a 3pt crimper for this 1 small job..Renting one is an option too..

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know that crimped or uncrimped is much difference in covering seed. Can you buy the straw that was cut with a crimper from another source?

3. llllllll

llllllll LawnSite Member

The city specs say they want the straw crimped to the ground after seed and fert.

4. RHayden

RHayden LawnSite Member

If you do not own one and it is in the job spec, then you will have to figure on renting one. Crimp it both ways or make half passes if its in an exposed area that catches a lot of wind.

5. llllllll

llllllll LawnSite Member

Has anyone ever made one out of an old disk ? The ones around here just look like a nothched disk

6. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

Notched disk harrows will work fine. Just set the harrows to cut straight instead of on an angle and make two passes in opposite directions. You might want to consider adding a little extra weight on the harrows. The goal is to push the straw into the soil but you dont want to tear the ground up while doing it. I have used a areovator to stick the straw. I have some pics somewhere of that job. Every dimple had straw sticking up out of it. Looked funny but it worked.