crinum lilys

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by olive123, Apr 27, 2006.

1. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

anyone with much experience with them? Just got a bunch suffering with fungus
    after the humidity has kicked in. Im using daconil as a curative but im wondering for next year in April if I can use a GOOD systemic for a good preventitive so i dont have to spray em so much.

2. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Daconil is a contact & should be your first defense as a preventive. Some systemics (Strobilurins) have good preventive properties but you would stop using strobis once infection sets in. After infection we want the Sterol Inhibitors like Eagle/Banner/Bayleton or a benzomidazol like 3336 for vascular infections. These can be used together with Daconil to decrease the likelihood of resistance issues developing.

I guess the main answer will first require another question - What fungus do they have?

3. olive123

red blotch

4. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

If you were dealing with a new planting in an area that had never exhibited Stagonospora curtisii (Red Blotch) then using contact fungicides like Dithane (Mancozeb) or Chlorothalonil as a preventive would be the way to go. But since infection has already been detected, the best you can do now is try to manage the disease to keep its effect minimized.
    Cleary's 3336 (Thiophanate-methyl) is the tool of choice. You might have blotches (infection) on the bulbs or below ground stems. If so, higher volume drenches might be necessary but this won't negate the need for regular foliar applications to prevent the spread by airborne spores.
    I don't know from personal experience, but my gut tells me that an organosilicone surfactant like Silwet 77 might help a lot when treating a waxy cuticle plant like lily.
    I hope this helps & that you will share the results you get this year.

5. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

I have found the best way to keep the disease as minimal as possible is to remove the affected leaves. They are generally the older leaves.
    I figure you are talking about the large variety the grows up to 5 feet. The smaller varieties will get it as well but it would be alot more work removing and keeping them clean.

6. olive123

jeeez tremor.....you da fungus man :drinkup:
    thanks for the info...this isnt my speciality but I work for the city now and am in charge of everything so sometimes you gotta bs through.
    Thanks for the detailed info. Knowledge is power.