1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Criticism please, not a mason by any means

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tcalb2, Dec 1, 2007.

1. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I just started this wall a few weeks ago in my free time. I've had a lot of people ask me if I could repair there existing stone walls and I always refer them off to a local company. however I figured I would try building a wall where I live to get some ideas and practice. I've been using straight portland and brick sand. Ever once in a while I pick up a bag of masonry type N cement and use that which makes things a little bit easy. But just tell me what I'm doing wrong and maybe some different ways to approach things. It is a solid wall mostly made out of stones I got from a horse farm.

2. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it looks pretty good!! You're fitting the stones in very well....at this point. How are you going to cap the wall??
  3. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

I'm headed to the horse farm this weekend to search for some thin pieces to cap it with, depending on the weather. There calling for snow showers sunday.
  4. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

don't count on mortar to lock the center. sacrifice running length with some stones and have some more stone that spans from side to side to increase stability. you don't want to end up with two separate faced walls with mortar in the middle. think two slices of bread with peanut butter in between...too easy to fracture and split.

if you are going to fill in the joints, grout bag is key and let it set up when firm. don't work it too soon.
  5. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

thanks, I can see now that there is alot of running joints which I wasn't even aware of.
  6. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

Looks Good for your first try..Would really build using concrete block and stacking the rocks as you are on the outside.
  7. Ground Effects NH

Ground Effects NH LawnSite Senior Member

Great effort, It's a lot harder then it looks.
  8. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

Yes, Once i'm done with this wall I'm doing a small retaining wall at my friends house. I think i'm going to use the block behind it, it seems to be the only way masons around here are doing walls. I very rarely see them doing it this way, ha probably a reason.
  9. Top Dog Pavers

Top Dog Pavers LawnSite Member

How ya gonna finish the top? Cut the rocks as straight as possible & finish it with a Bluestone w/ rock facing. Thats if you have a saw to cut that rock.
  10. tcalb2

tcalb2 LawnSite Member

No, I 've been setting a side some stones that a flat, I have to make one more trip to the horse farm and get a few more to cap the wall