1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

criticizing National Lawn companies

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Feb 7, 2009.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Seems TruGreen is criticized most, but many TruGreen locations do a fine job. I'm wondering why Scotts Lawn Care has not been criticized?? Overpriced + buying a name = pay more with no difference. My 2 cents worth
  2. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't speak for everybody, but my local TruGreen does a terrible job. They "hang paper", ghost, the whole 9 yards.

Although there is a Scotts Lawn Care that owns this area, they are almost none existent (most their account aren't around here) so therefor I don't have anything to say about them.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

In my area, Scotts does a OK job. A little overpriced? Who is to say? As long as you DO what you say you will, it is up to the customer to decide what is overpriced. TGCL does not do such a good job in my area. (an understatement) It's good for my business, so I can't complain. BTW-We have some local lawn care companies that do a piss poor job as well:waving:
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Scotts here does OK, to be honest, most TGCL guys do too. I have never seen or heard of a Scotts applicator doing a "splash and dash" or ghosting, they don't try to keep coming after service has been canceled, not that I have heard of at least. Those are the things that bug me most about TGCL. I would catagorize Scotts program as average, same as TGCLs, maybe the difference is in the emphasis TGCL puts on production, forcing their guys to run around like they are on meth.
  5. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I think one reason(not the only one) is TG is a large target. I am amazed with them here. They cover the entire state of Arkansas from one branch in Little Rock. I can always tell from one year to the next whether they've gotten a new tech in my area without ever seeing the service truck.Some years the lawns look decent and some years they are terrible. I never criticize their work in front of a customer. If the customer says something negative, I smile and tell them I can fix that in no time or its nothing we can't handle. Scotts just got started here in the last 2-3 yrs. They haven't been here long enough to build very much of a reputation (good or bad).
  6. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

they both do crap ass work here. easy to pick up their customers!
  7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our local Scotts Lawn Care treats nearly every property with Permagreen ride-ons. From 2000 sq ft to larger properties. I see those guys taking more time blowing off granules than actually treating the property. They have damaged desired plant material (shrubs, flowers, etc). We are beginning to pick up Scotts lawn customers because of this. Plus -- we charge less. Wondering if they are going the same route as TruGreen?
  8. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

My area both Scotts and TG/CL are rip off artists. But what bugs me is the training they give their employees. Maybe I should say the lack of actual Green Industry training while at the same time the unscrupulous Sales training. There is a guy in my town who worked for such a company that is no longer in business and in fact sold out the service master group. His sales tactics are border line fraud and his work is horrable. But he manages to smooze most customers into keeping him by offering a free treatment. Of course he has to depend on heavy advertising like TV and radio as well as print to keep a customer base. I am sure if you ask him, he will tell you TG/CL does a fine job since they are in fact 10 times better than him. Of course his prices are also in line with the El Cheapo Cheapo price of TG/CL. Scott's prices are higher but they only have 19 yr old techs Who once again don't know the work from a hole in the ground. Seems to me this type of attitude and training really give the industry a bad name.
  9. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Scotts doesn't have near the market share that Trugreen has here. Frankly, the LCO's seem to have at least 80% of the residential market. Most customers seem to prefer to have one stop shopping, one bill for mowing and apps. The customers that I have for apps only, mow their own lawns, but ask me to do the pruning and whatnot.

The LCO's in most cases don't do a very good job either, so it isn't just the big outfits. The LCO's seem to use poor quality ferts and controls. At least that's what I think based on their results. There are some good outfits out there, but not many of them.

Trugreen gets a lot of heat when customers try to cancel. I've heard some really nasty stories about that. Borderline threats sort of thing... aggressive to say the least.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Seems to be SOP for TG/CL to keep bugging past customer to come back. I know a guy that had his attorney send a certified letter to TG/CL to stop calling him. In the mean time I won't take back a customer more than one time and then only if they were good customers with good reason to stop service. No reason to deal with a unstable or unhappy customer.