Critique my Business Plan

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Grits, Nov 6, 2006.

1. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

I have been working on a business plan. This is it thus far. I would like input. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

What about how you will grow with your equipment purchases? Accounts, ext?

3. lawnjockey56

lawnjockey56 LawnSite Member

If you don't want your image to be that of a guy with a lawnmower......then why an image of a guy with a lawnmower to represent you amongst your peers???

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What are you goals for how much money you hope to generate the first year and how much money are you going to invest in the business? What is the size of yards that you are going to target....this drives the kind and size of equipment. How many accounts are you going to need to meet your break even in first half?

5. Grits

from Florida

:laugh: I bet you probably don't like his uniform either.
    I hope you were making a joke because that pic is nothing but FUNNY!

6. Grits

from Florida

Didn't think about this. Good points to work on. Thanks.

7. Grits

from Florida

I have thought about this, but then my brain started cramping and I quit.:) Great points. This is just the beginning of my business plan. A lot will be added and consistently updated. I just want to make sure i am on the right track.
    Keep the advice coming. I'm like a sponge, trying to soak it all up.

8. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

looks ok but then again im not the best is business managment and projections.

Thats why i bought business plan pro 2007. It takes you step by step to make a really professional looking plan. it will guide you through the financials and virtually every aspect of business you could think of. and then some.

But doing it from scratch like you have id say its a hell of a lot better than i could come up with.

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I always like to start at the end,
    What do you want / need to put in your pocket?
    Now go backwards from there to figure everything else. You will need to do a lot of research to get the #'s.
    Lets say--
    You need $3000.00
    You figure the tools and equipment you need to do the work and the cost of all of it for a year. You plan to work 40 hours a week for 30 weeks or 1200 hours. So total cost is divided by the 1200 to know the cost per hour
    Do the same for all office and admin. Costs. And advertising
    lets say it adds up to $6 an hour, you will get paid $3 and hour and you want 10% profit for the company---so you will sell work for $10 an hour and we already said about 1200 hours of it so total of $12000 for the year of which $3000- $3600 is you pay.
    What do you need to get there?
    If a job takes 1/2 an hour and you plan to work 40 hours a week to reach your goal, you need 80 jobs, all your advertising will be with flyers. And we know flyers get about a 1% response and than about 1/3 of those can be converted into jobs-- so you figure about 24000 flyers out to get the work, now figure the time and cost to do that, those figures help to figure the cost in the first stuff you did (job cost).

This is a very simple example of what is involved. (And the numbers are very made up) You will go in circles as you get more figures and keep changing numbers but you should start to see all of what you will need to do and what it will cost to get there. The idea is to plan all the money out before you do it so that you know where you will end up.
    Think of it this way-- 5 years from now you will have a CD of your Quick Books to give you tax guy-- The plan you are working on now should try to forecast that CD. And the plan should tell all you need and time put in to get there. Do not rush it; it will change over time also. It can develop over time while you are working the business but try to get a base to start with.
    Hope this helps.

10. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

A little broad for me, sounds like an extended version of a mission statement. Need to focus more on $$,equipment,# of accounts goal,time frame for each stage of growth of the business. example 1st month>1 48" w/b,2000 flyers printed and delivered, servicing 5 residential accounts,2 yearly contracts, list all equipment, list projected cost of eqip. maintenance and repair, so on and so on, many more factors to list than what you have now, but good start now just keep adding to it.