Critique my contract

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by WhohasHelios?, Apr 24, 2005.

1. WhohasHelios?

WhohasHelios? LawnSite Member

Attached is my contract, I have been using this basic template for everything from installs to maintenance for three years. I am thinking its perhaps time to change, though i have never had any problems.

Please let me know what you think.

Attached Files:

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

3. WhohasHelios?

I am Canadian!!! :realmad:

4. Dallas Turf

Dallas Turf LawnSite Member

I see two problems with your contract
    1- You need to specify the type of turf grass to be installed.

2- I never work on a project like that for less than a 60% deposit. I have only lost 1 irrigation job 6 years ago because of my large deposit, but they turned around and stiffed a friend of mine who did the job.

Good luck that is allot of dirt to spread by hand, hope you can get a bobcat in
  5. pagefault

pagefault LawnSite Senior Member

If I were the customer, I would like to see something about cancellation and about warranty. This actually helps you, too. That way, the customer doesn't think they can cancel the day you show up and they don't call you back in two years because of dead plants.

I would keep it simple, like "either party may cancel by providing written notice at least X days before work is scheduled to begin" and "Company Y shall provide services and meet its obligations under this contract in a timely and workmanlike manner blah blah blah" followed by an indication of what you will and will not fix for free, for how long and how the homeowner should notify you of defects.
  6. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

7. WhohasHelios?

Thanks to all for your comments!

I was actually only half way on that particular contract. So I guess I was more just asking about the basic layout of the hard information on the template more than the specifics of that job. (Yes I have a skid come in for anything sizeable)

I like the idea about more information and getting a little more specific, perhaps I will add a second page with some clauses of how people can exit the contract, etc etc. Thanks.

I do typically attach a copy of my warranty on plant material and hardscaping if they are included in the job.

Thanks again.