Critique my sprinkler spacing please

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Lawnworks, Oct 11, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

What do yall think of the beginning of this sprinkler design? The sprinkers are all spaced 25ft apart. I have 20 heads for 10,000 square feet... do I need to increase spacing? The water pressure is 82 psi w/ a 1" water meter/pipe. How many sprinklers is a zone... say PGJ heads?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Heres my thoughts. You don't usually need those corner heads, as the ones next to it cover corners well.

Also, its hard to tell scale, so I thought the narrow strip may possible be better covered by sprayheads?

EDIT: Whoops, I just realized that the heads on the bottom were 360's not 180's...so you'll want to keep the corner heads down there.

sprinkler spacing2.JPG

3. Lawnworks

from usa

20 heads seems like alot for this area... is that pretty much how it should be?? or should there be less, but more capable heads.

4. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

I count 24 heads...........

The design is solid. If the desire is to use PGJ's or MP rotator type heads, I think your fine. If you have a desire to use less heads, then I would suggest the six heads in the narrow strip are fine and treat that as a seperate zone. Then take the larger front yard and space the 100x100 you are showing on 33' spacing and use 16 heads. If the space in the front between your tap and (street?) is void of heads for a reason (ditch,code, etc.) You could stretch the row spacing out as far as 40' without problems and only use 12 heads, but have some overlap beyond the property. (sounds like watering street to me) Or leave the 33' spacing and accomplish what your current design does with less heads.
    Again, there is nothing wrong with your orginal plot, and depending on other variables, your design is sound.

5. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

What type of rotors and nozzles?

6. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

It's immaterial... BUT watch the overall GPM of the sprinklers so you don't go over your POC GPM. You will be able to reduce the total number of sprinklers but might have to increase the number of zones depending on which sprinkler you use.

Now... give me plenty of GPM and PSI and that large area would have just nine I-40s on one valve. :D

7. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

How do you figure 30 PSI at the sprinkler heads? Are you going to use a regulator on the valves?

8. Lawnworks

from usa

I am thinking I may have to use a regulator after the water meter, but I really don't want to. A regulator on the valves would be expensive, right? $30 a valve or so right?

9. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Not having any indication of the scale of the design, it does look like you could add a fifth row of heads by the curb, at the bottom of the diagram. (if that is a curb) Of the resulting 25 heads, it might be possible to remove every other head, leaving 13, and still cover the territory, with a fairly decent overlap, if you can increase the head pressure and get over 35 feet spray distance.

What regulate? 82 psi static is not excessive, even for poly pipe. You'll drop about ten of that through the backflow preventer and zone valves.

10. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I would think it would be best to keep the portion near the street/asphalt as is and not line any up on it. People don't always drive where they are supposed to. Municipalities like to come in and dig up stuff. I think if you can keep your physical lines away from the street? it would help to avoid problems in the future.