critique these ads,change,alter,give advice,tell me im nuts.

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigw, Jan 29, 2008.

1. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking to run an ad in my paper and trying to generate some business,are these good? bad? too much? not enough?Their are lots of lco's running ads similar in my area so im trying to catch some interest. Thanks in advance and be honest i want the truth,i promise not to bite anyones head off lol.

"Free lawn care" Vintage lawn care will give you two free cuts during your initial first season of lawn care.service to include mowing,trimming,edging,blowing of debri.Offer good for first 50 new accounts only.Fully insured,great rates call now for free estimate.

#2 "Free lawn care" receive 50$ in free lawn care services during your initial first season with Vintage Lawn Care, can be used towards any of our services.Offer good for new accounts only. Fully insured,great rates call now for free estimate

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Depending on your target audience - I would tend not to offer 'free' service of any kind, it looks like you might be a bit desperate or it might reflect poorly on your quality (not saying these things are true, just how your audience perceives them). Plus, you don't owe anyone top service for nothing. I would keep your ads straight up. If anything, do a referral program for your existing customers so you can make them 'work' to get $$ off their services.

3. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep, I had a friend of mine try that tactic, and it backfired pretty bad on him; lots of customers who wanted everything free or discounted. . . Or customers who signed on for the free cut, but quit paying afterwards.

4. LawnSharks

LawnSharks LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, be careful. I've seen this really hurt guys. Anything free usually cost somebody something and usually in these cases, it's us the LCO.
    Good luck!!

5. GreenAcresLC

GreenAcresLC LawnSite Member
    from KY

I, too was thinking of offering a free cut to new customers, or maybe a discounted service (like hedge trimming). So you say this is a bad practice to begin with?

6. bigw

ok so you think neither are good? What about something like a 10 or 20% discount? I am new this year so i cant go the referral route yet and i am just trying to muster up some accounts to get started so i wanted to run an ad of some sort. Keep the advice coming im hearing ya!!

7. bigw

couldnt i specify when they got the free cut like the 3rd or 6th?? Do you have any good ads you ran that helped generate accounts?

8. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Big W keep you ad simple for ex

Vintage lawn care: Clean-ups, Mowing, Trimming, Mulch Etc. Fully insured 555-1212.
    I have had decent luck just buying a 2x2 square and advertise in the back of the local section. Referal programs worked for me also.
    If you advertise free services you probably will get alot of pita's calling.

9. bigw

So no discounts at all even though their are other Lco's in the same paper with some sort of discounts? Would anyone call me over the guys with the discounts? Just trying not to make a 80$ mistake before i post the add,thanks for the help!!!

10. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Personaly I wouldn't advertise dicounts for the simple reason that you tend to get price shoppers who are going to call everyone in the paper. If you have to you can put at the end of the ad Discounts available, but do not specify what they are until they call or you see the lawn.