Critique this drystack wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by columbiaplower, Apr 21, 2008.

1. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Tell me what you think of this wall, how does it look? How can it be better? sorry about the camera phone pics.

2. MRBsx2

MRBsx2 LawnSite Member

I am gonna give you my honest opinion dont be mad, the wall could be a lot better its rough. i dont know if its your first wall or not but stone work is not for everybody its a art its a skill and its a talent that is very hard to just pick up ive been doing stone masonry for 8 years and learned from the best in my area there is a lot to know and learn before you can make a drystack fieldstone wall look good.. Heres a job i did back in March

2008 work 022.jpg
  3. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

MRBsx2, that is an awesome wall! As for your wall Columbia, I see a few problems with yours. The first is structural. That wall does not really look sturdy enough to remain standing for to many years. The wall should be wider. Maybe it is under the loam, I cant really tell. Also, the stones do not seem to fit close enough to give much stability. The stone that you used is fairly linear so the face of the wall should be much smoother. The way you have it built, it is jarring to the eye. Like MRB said, stone work isn't something that everyone can do, but it is something that you can learn with a lot of practice, so keep going.
  4. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the advice, and the critique. I put it up here so i could get some ideas, as it is my first wall of this type. I have done many many block walls, but this client wanted a dry stack. I was not happy about how this turned out, but the customer was. I wanted to take it down and redo it. Structurally its fine, there are two courses underground an a pretty good base underneath. I have no doubt it will last for a while. I just wanted the face to look smoother. MRBsx2 that wall looks amazing, thats what I strive to be able to do. I can put up a great block wall, but your right theres an art to the stone wall and I would love to be able to build somthing like yours.
  5. 4Russl5

4Russl5 LawnSite Member

I have images of early jobs similar to your project.
    It seems as though you have a strong interest in stone and a desire to want to learn from your work. You should check out The Stone Foundation, as they have an annual get together in Barre, Vermont this Fall teaching Dry stone walling. Another great place to nurture and hone your skills is the Dry Stone Conservancy. I did their 'Boot Camp' week last fall and learned how to build retaining walls, wall ends, & fences structurally that will 100's of years.You learn about-foundation stones, through stones, cap stones, coping, length in, and the golden mantra of 1 over 2 & 2 over 1.
    Aside from that info.... it's a low wall which last longer as a single shallow retaining wall. Foundation stones really won't help it in this application. Length in, & 1 over 2 would help imensely. If built to DS masonry specificaions this low wall could last for a long time and double as a bench. Sorry to blather on for so long.....
    Good luck-