1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Critter problems..Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dukester, Aug 21, 2002.

1. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

One of my customers has a Armadillo in the back yard. It's digging holes all over the place. "Every night". Anyway to get rid of the critter? I not interested in setting on the back porch with a shotgun all night. They don't pay that much..Duke
  2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I would have them call the Animal Ward or something. I would think they could get rid of it.
  3. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

in our area we have companies that specialize in this area. although we dont have armidillos, we have moles squirels, snakes and other pests. I contract this out, add 15% to the cost and bill the customer. Most customers like this because they deal with us, someone they trust.
  4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

I was just wondering,as only Armadillos here are in the zoo,does it dig a hole and live down it like a big rabbit?or does it live in the bushes and come out at night to dig holes in lawn?:confused:
  5. Husqman

Husqman LawnSite Member

They dig for grubs and worms usually late at night and they can really tear up a yard in a hurry. They can be pretty hard to catch in a live trap.
  6. dukester

dukester LawnSite Member

My customer contacted a "Critter Control" outfit. The price is $425.00 to get the worm eating. LOL I told my wife we should tape a couple of worms to a steal trap and let him stick is head on that. My son said to buy a plastic tub of fishing worms and put them in a trap. If we can find a way to keep the worms in the trap this might work.. Now he thinks he wants to be a Critter Control agent when he grows up. What next? Duke
  7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

The city in wich we live in will lend you a live trap. If you can attain one, just put a can of tuna in it for bait. Usually after capturing our own cat a time or two we will catch the offending critter. Good luck and Happy hunting
  8. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

Armadillo ???!!! mmm...possum on the half shell...good eatin :)
  9. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

The critter getters here charge a bounty, so much for each one captutuered. I know $425.00 seems like a lot but how much will it cost to redo the lawn. Maybe if you called him up an offered to refer all your critter business, he would give you a discount
  10. TurfGuyTX

TurfGuyTX LawnSite Senior Member
    from DFW

I would do two things. First, I'd put out an insecticide like Talstar granule. That would put a end to their food supply. Second, I would put out a live trap baited with assorted sliced fruit. I've had success with it. Getting rid of the grubs and such would be beneficial anyway. Good luck.