1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Crooked tree

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by VRL, Feb 6, 2002.

1. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member

Can a crooked tree be trained to grow upwards again. I just picked up this account. The strap broke and it grew into a 45 degree angle (Bended half way of the tree). The tree is a Carrot Wood very young still. What do you guys think? is it worth it or should I recommend another tree?

Any info. is appreciated.

2. Yes, probably.

Problem is, why did it get crooked. It the tree is shaded on one side, it is just going to grow crooked again to get the light.

3. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member

Looks like the trunk outgrew and broke the strap or the wind might of pushed it enough to break the strap. Then it was never tied back. What kind of hardware would you use to pull it back and have it grow correctly?

4. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

If the trees still young put a good solid stake in on the side away from the bend.Strap the tree firmly to the stake from the ground up to the bend.From the bend up pull the tree back up as straight as you can get it,but DO NOT put to much pressure on it at the bend or it will snap in half.Strap it back with several straps and each month as you visit tighten the straps back a little and bring the tree back to straight.Over a period of a year or so the tree will grow back straight.
  5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Well now...............ya take a cuttin torch and heat it where ya want to bend it........................oops, wrong forum!

I did see a device in AM Leanord magazine for straightening a crooked tree. It might not work for the trunk though. If it's still young then there might be a chance.
  6. VRL

VRL LawnSite Member

Thanks guys, I'll put a stake on the side of the tree and tie several straps to it. That sounds like a good idea. Thanks again. I check out the AM Leanord magazine online and see if I can use anything. For now I'll try BigJims method. :D