Crop rows to level ground

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by JimboTN, Jul 14, 2005.

1. JimboTN

JimboTN LawnSite Member

My yard has crop row ridges running laterally across it. They are about 4-6" high spaced about 2-3' apart. There is about 6-10" of topsoil over lots of large rock. I want to level it out to make mowing and just walking easier. I have a garden tractor with box blade/scraper and a JohnnyBucket Jr scoop in front.

Is there a better approach than just tilling and blading?

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

I cant think of any, but I'm not in the grading and levelling business. I just install plants, and put in mulch, plus mow.

3. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You can till it up and blade it down, or you can rent a tractor and disk and break it all up and go in with a drag and drag it all down, and reseed while you're at it. A lawn roller will also help to settle it all down once you've seeded.

4. Stan MI

Stan MI LawnSite Member
    from MI

Jimbo

I started with about the same thing you have. I had 10 acres of old farm land that had been left idle for several years. The last thing the farmer did was pull either a 3 or 4 bottom plow all over the property. Every other step was up or down.

I disked and dragged and picked rocks for over two years. Looks real nice now. Well thats not quite true, we need rain sooooo bad.

Good luck.

5. JimboTN

JimboTN LawnSite Member

Thanks for the responses. I'm really learning a lot from the forum. I went by Tractor Supply today and they have sleeve hitch cultivators, discs and rollers that I think are Agri-fab built and the Brinly site says Home Depot and Lowes can order their products. TSC said their implements may go on sale within the next few weeks. What I'm reading elsewhere suggests that the priority should be discs, cultivator, roller. Sound right? I was originally thinking I would just knock the ridges down with the scarifier/box blade and then maybe drag it. Are Agri-Fab and Brinly comparable?

While I'm at it and since seeding was mentioned, any recommendations regarding grasses for a low maintenance yard here in middle Tennessee that can get started this far into summer?