Cross Cutting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EDL, Jun 23, 2000.

1. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Today i cross cut a lawn today, but the clippings were still abundant through the whole backyard, I run double blades on the mower. The lawn was long after chemlawn dumped a truck load of fert. on it but i was curios what some of you do. I could not blow it because of neighboring lawns on all sides of it. Thanks Tom

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I fire up the Walker and throw it in da hopper. <br>Try cutting at a higher setting 3.5&quot; first pass and then lowering to 3&quot; for second pass. The clippings will be smaller. Then tell your customer that if they want it to look good you will have to be back every 4 or 5 days to cut it. Good Luck.

3. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

talk to the customer about mowing on a; monday/thursday or tuesday/friday routine until you get the yard under control. also be sure to change patterns so old clipping don't leave dead spots.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

If all else fails...........break out the rake! I may be the only one here that tried the double blades and went back to single but I found that when I used the doubles on Bermuda it created such a vacuum it pulled up all the old dead thatch thus creating more work! I had to run over one of my nice Bermuda lawns today a dozen times to get it worked in and spread out because it went a little longer than it should have between cuttings. I don't know what type of grass you had this problem with but you might try going back to single blades next week and see if there is any difference. the double blades worked great on centipede, St. Augustine, and bahai but I might cut all these different grasses in one day, therefore I can't &quot;double up&quot; because there are 3 or 4 Bermuda's mixed in.<p>Homer

5. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

As my arch-enemy lawrence stone will tell you, don't let anyone else fertilize a lawn that you mow. You need to be able to control the amount of N being applied.<p>That's for next year.<p>For now, I would raise my mowing height 1/2&quot; and then on your 2nd pass mow 1/2&quot; higher yet.<p>Customer doesn't like being mowed so high? Let them know the lawn is being over-fertilized and you'll take over next year.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

And if that dont work. get some Gator blades and go over it about 5+ times

7. SKDCO

SKDCO LawnSite Member

when you cut in one direction you cut at the heighth blades are at, then when you &quot;cross-cut&quot; you are actually cutting the grass shorter maybe a 1/16-1/8 but you are cutting it.so if you worried about clippings, travel over area (in same direction) again after you do other area of yard.

8. yardsmith

yardsmith LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

A trick i found out on my bobcat that really works is to cut the lawn at the reg. hgt., then lift the deck up all the way, or at least 2&quot; above what you just cut it at & go over it again.<br>It will pick up about 1/2 to 2/3 of the clippings & disperse them, & leave some there. It fans them out very nicely, & you can go full speed while doing this, & as an extra bonus, if you use the same pattern, it will make your stripes stand out even more. Try it, you'll like it.<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

9. MLS

MLS LawnSite Member

Would someone please explain &quot;double blades&quot;? We have been in the business for about three years and have about 110 accounts that are mainly turf-type fescues. Would the double blades help us?

10. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Homer dun - told ya about double blades!<p>EDL - If all else fails, like homer said, you might hav to break out a rake! Sorry! To make it easier I would blow all the clippings into a couple of strips (depending on the size yard) so you only have to rake one strip, ya know? <p>----------<br>&lt;a href=&quot;http://communities.msn.com/guidosequipmentpics/&quot;&gt;&quot;Guido&quot;&lt;/a&gt;<br>David M. Famiglietti