Cross Referencing Oil Filters

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Lawn Simplicity LLC, May 29, 2006.

1. Lawn Simplicity LLC

Lawn Simplicity LLC LawnSite Member

Have a 36" tthp with the 15 H.P. Kawasaki. Does the Kawasaki filter cross reference to a Fram filter? If so anyone have a number.
    Thanks for any help,
    Larry

2. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

Fram PH4967
    Purolator L14476
    WIX 51394
    Napa Gold 1394

3. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Do you know of other brands of filters for a 2004 Exmark? I need an oil filter for a Kohler 20 hp, a hydro filter (1-513211 is Exmarks number) and the inner and out air filters? I am looking for compatible filters. $18 for a hydro filter seems like a rip off to me.

4. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Exmark 513211 crosses to a WIX 51374

www.wixfilters.com

Usually with Exmark you have to lose the leading 1 since alot of cross references arent updated with their newer style numbers.

5. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

i use wix filters on the engine but not the hydro
    stick with eXmark filters on the hydro it's not worth a warranty problem

6. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

I took your advise and stopped by the local Exmark dealer and bought a filter for the hydros for just over $18 this morning. Before I left, he asked is I need a filter for the 20 hp Kohler. He claimed I should use only a Kohler brand filter because it has a check valve in it to keep the oil from draining back out of the engine when you kill it. He told me if you use any other brand, like a B&S filter, it won't have the check valve and will damage the engine. Is there any truth to his claim, or is he just trying to sell me a $14 engine oil filter?

7. Potchkins

Potchkins LawnSite Senior Member

in my opinion it's just a $14 engine oil filter
    let Brian give eXmark's two cents...

you can also do a search on oil filters this has been discussed before

8. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Is there any truth to the "Check Valve" claim? Can I use a regular oil filter from Fram or Wix? If so, do you happen to have the a filter number?

9. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Elkbow,

I do believe that it has a by-pass that allows the engine to continue to receive oil even if the filter is plugged, and not all filters have that. The idea being that unfiltered oil going through the engine is better than no oil at all.

I'm not aware of any check valve, I'm sure there's somebody on here that's more up to speed on Kohler filters than I am that may be able to comment on that.

As a service guy, and I've probably said this before, my thought is that the filter is one of the cheapest things you'll ever replace in the engine. To me, I look at the extra few bucks per filter as an insurance policy. You know that what you're getting is what was meant for the engine. Several years ago I remember a certain after market catalog that had the exact same filter called out for a Kawasaki engine as they did for our hydro-system. One system uses a suction filter, and one a pressure filter...so in one or the other, it's not going to work.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, let us know.

Thanks,

Lenny

10. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

he's talking about the adbv, anti-drainback valve. most filters have them, they are either black(nitrle) or red(silicon) silicon being the better, located under the mounting endcap.

i run a FL400s (motorcraft) on my 15hp kaw, it has a silicon adbv to withstand the high engine heat better and filters finer than the oem filter.