Cross referencing Ramsomes or Texron oil filters to a name brand oil filter ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnMower, Apr 24, 2005.

1. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

I went to Auto Zone to cross reference my hydro oil filters to a name brand oil filter. I didn't want to pay my dealers price for an oil filter. They could not cross reference the numbers over to a name brand filter. Any one know how I can cross reference numbers? Can it even be done? One of my filters is a Ransomes, the other is a Texron. These company's do not make there own filters, they have a name brand company manufacture them.

2. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

Well, spent some time searching, here's a site I found, may be of help. http://www.amsoil.com/products.aspx

Another thing that I have found, sometimes some places have better cross reference books than others. Try another auto parts place, or try some different catalogues too. I've found that sometimes you maybe looking in 'industrial' stuff for example, but the filter crosses over to a car, or motorcycle or something you may not expect.
    On one filter I ended up comparing actual filters, found one with the right thread and seal size that matched.

Mark

3. LawnMower

Thank you for your reply. I did a big search too on the Internet. I got a lot of good stuff, but nothing to cross reference the hydro filters.

4. greywynd

greywynd LawnSite Member

I never thought to confirm, are these filters for the engine oil, or the hydraulic fluid? If they are hydraulic, you would have to go to a hydraulic shop or the like. Standard oil filters aren't going to match/cross reference. If it's hydraulic, take one with you, there's only a handful of standard sizes, and a few oddballs (there is such a thing as a metric size in filters too.) Hope this is of some help.

Mark

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Go to a NAPA or any place that sells Wix filters - Walla !

6. spence0064

spence0064 LawnSite Member

I have a wix agriultral cross reference book If you give me the numbers I will see if they cross

jeff

7. LawnMower

I brought the filter to Napa, and they couldn't cross reference it. Ill get the numbers and post them here a little later. thank for your responses.

8. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

John, then try Baldwin or Donaldson. They make industrial and heavy duty application filters.

Is this a new 2005 unit ? If so, it may be that it's just not on the cross reference lists yet. See if your dealer will tell you what models other than your's use the same filter, and see if NAPA/Wix , Donaldson or Baldwin can specify it by application.

9. TMarch

TMarch LawnSite Member

Napa, car quest, anywhere but auto zone