1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Crossing Under Drive Pavers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by ed2hess, Mar 6, 2007.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The customer has an S shaped drive made out of pavers. The drive goes from his main concrete drive across the front yard and consists of two 3' wide rows separated by 3' strip of grass. We got to cross under them several times. I know I can tunnel under and put in a 2" sleeve. When I back fill around my sleeve do you think it will be enough to just flood sand back into the tunnel? Or am I going to have to force concrete back in the tunnel. Keep in mind he may drive a car across this some day. The pavers are cemented in on the edges and sand filled in center. NO way around this.

2. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

How many times do you have to cross this? Your best solution is going to involve removing a section of the pavers and trenching in your sleeve. Then backfill and re-set the pavers. IMHO, this is your only option if you do not want to destroy the integrity of the pavers.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I will have to cross each track once at least. I guess I will have to go to paver school. It looks like the edge rows are cemented in and the center ones are just dropped in place. If I pull these things out will I have to mark each piece when I remove them?

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Pull the pavers up and trench for your sleeve. I would avoid concrete due to the heaving aspect. I would either contact a paver installer or try it yourself by compacting 3/4" modified stone to within 3" of paver height, trowel 1" of sand and level, install pavers and compact to finished height, sweep in sand per manufacturers recommendations. (this is a very shortened installation guide. See the ICPI website for more info and a paver installation detail.

Chris

5. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

Easiest way already discussed, pull up the pavers, most likely find it very convenient to have a paving installer sub the job, you don't need the headache

6. bicmudpuppy

bicmudpuppy LawnSite Silver Member

If you've never done paver type work before, subbing it might be a good plan. How "perfect" is the existing work? If it has some age and has started to heave and settle some anyway, then it depends on if you want the experience or not. You are going to spend a lot more time fixing this than someone with a lot of experience, but it isn't going to cost you much to fix it besides time. I would remove enough of the pavers to ditch comfortably. Getting it back isn't going to be like a jigsaw puzzle, but filling in the pattern correctly is important. If you doubt yourself at all, number the pavers with sidewalk chalk and take a picture before removing them. Trench your pipe path. Install sleeve. I would bed the sleeve and then fill the trench with a substrate like AB3. Depending on how the existing pavers were set (this will be obvious when you remove them and make your ditch. I would stop the AB3 fill at the level of the old pavers foundation and copy what was done before. This means chat, sand, etc. Just make sure you tamp and tamp again the new bed for the pavers. Realize that when the pavers were orginally installed, the installer had an open bed to compact. That installer probably used a compactor to smooth and set the bed for the pavers.

7. Ditto on the subbing...

Have the h/o call the paver company that installed it.....or call him yourself if you know who it is....

Not only will you have fewer headaches...but the paver contractor will be very happy you didn't ruin his masterpiece.

8. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Trust me, its a huge PITA to properly redo the base on pavers, and get them perfect again. Its totally worth subbing out.

9. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

I don't agree about subbing. Here in Texas we aren't subject to any of the weather relating displacement problems associated with paver installation in colder climates.
    That said, I would take several establishing photos, mark the pavers then trench for the pipe.
    It really isn't difficult, the photos will assist in correct replacement and you'll learn how to work with pavers.
    I would definately not attempt to bore underneath the pavers as the potential undermining is a real possibility with the amount of rock common to our area of operations.

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

This is a driveway, it needs to have a proper base.