crossroads in the field

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, May 24, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

I was called to provide an estimate on a 3 ACRE cemetary,I don't have all the details yet, nor have I seen it.My question,baring the details of trimming, estimating is I only perform work at residential properties at this time,typically small a few medium size places.I have 36" wb this is the biggest piece of equipment I have.I have been setting money aside for a used plow truck.This type of work , 3 ACRES is for riders only.I am thinking yes, I would prefer to purchase a zero for this but this is a little steep with my previous goal in mind.Maybe, a riding mower(tractor) to complete this work for the year then purchase z next year.Thats if I get it, I am thinking 60 per acre straight mowing trimming adds time,I will have to look at whats involved.Ideas on this.Anyone perform this type of work what problems,time costs here.Dave
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I wouldn't buy a tractor when you have intentions of buying a z. IMO they are very unprofessional looking. You should be able to buy a used z for a reasonable price. I agree though, you can't do that big of an account in a reasonable amount of time w/ a 36".
  3. sikagrass

sikagrass LawnSite Member

They will jump on you like white on rice for 55 an acre for a cemetery.They are very hard to do because of all the obstacles and the trimming. If that is all you can charge for it,believe me,dont sign for the season till you do it and see just how long it will take you.I wish I had listened to the guys on here with more expierience who tried to tell me the same thing.Live and learn.
  4. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

My yard is 3+ acres of turf. Out here 2 acres is a small yard. You can walk it. I have no idea of the rates in NY, but out here you will have a hard time getting 60/acre.

As for pitfalls, its nearly impossible to bag if the need be, with your equipment you will spend alot of time on site, cemetery's have a lot of trimming, and people will try to blame you for any damage to the headstones.

Also, you may want to think about it like this, if the 3 acres takes you 3 hrs @ 60/hr, you get 180. Lets say you can mow 12 city lots in that time @ 25 each, thats 300, and more suited to your equipment/skill.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Devils advocate.....from scags web site a 36" mower if run all day can cut 9.3 acres per day. I'll go one step fursther and only give em 6 acres. as no conditions are that ideal unless its a flat field. I woudl venture that you could cut the three acres on a 36 (with some sort of a velky) in 1/2 a day. The trimming is whats going to kill you. figure 10-15 seconds per gravestone to trim. a grave site is about 5 feet wide bby ten feet longs (50 sq feet) 3 acres is 129,000 sqft(more or less) divied by 50 sqft equal 2580 possible grave stones or about ten hours of trimming. not matter what its gonna take you two days to do this. One day trimming and a partial day mowing. If you are not ready to step up the Z just yet. tough it out for a year with the 36. youmight find the 36" is easier to maneouvor around the gravestones.. Plus takein to account any blowing... I would also invest in an OCDC as you really don't want to have to go around cleaning grass clumps off of the tombstones...

I have a 500 person cemetary on campus that I have to deal with. we use a 52 scag z, but it cannot fit between the headstones we do all of that by hand with string trimmers, it can only roll over the areas were teh bodies are planted...I fyou catch my drift. and in some cases We do not have enough space to turn around we have to mow in and back out....I can cut it in an hour and another 2 to string trim...its about 1/2 acre of total area....
  6. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

I also do a med. size church cemetery, using a 52" Skag Turf Tiger and 2 Echo trimmers. It can be time consuming, if you let it get ahead of you. Stay on top of it and it's not bad.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try this type of work with a tractor type of mower. They are just not maneuverable enough to turn between the headstones. You need a walkbehind or a zero turn. The size is up to you and the stone spacing. Many of the older stones are very fragile and will break with very little contact so be carefull if you take this job.

The Captain
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I can't resist the temptation to ask this question anymore...

Isn't there a cost / stiff for cemeteries? So then you add up all the bodies and there you go.