Croton's Outside?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MMLawn, Jul 20, 2006.

1. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Any of you guys ever planted (successfully I add.... :laugh: ) Croton Plants outside? I realize that they are mainly marketed and sold as a house plant, but since they are native to Southeast Asia and require lots of sunlight and love humity and hot temps I thought they might make it outside in my area. We have a commercial client that if they would make it I would really like to try them there.

2. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

Installed several hundred on a fed. gov't contract. But I do have to point out that I am on Guam where it is definitely tropical.

Tea leaves, crotons, ixora, hibiscus also. No real trick to it here as even the wooden telephone poles have been know to sprout!

I remember having them around our home in Florida but that still is a bit south of you.

3. lawnchick17

lawnchick17 LawnSite Member

Have done so with great success in South Texas, they will grow extremely fast. Need to be protected during a frost, (if So.Tx. ever gets another frost) but will become more tolerant every year. They sure do add amazing color and texture to the landscape. One of my fave combos- Croton Mamie and Sprengeri Fern.

4. MMLawn

Thanks guys. I think I will try them and start small by implenting them in a couple of exsisting beds. I picked up 20 at the nursery and if they work out I will get/use more.

5. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

heres an informative site to check out www.croton-mania.com you can get some good info on thier data page, but it looks to me that you will be treating these as annuals if they make it.

6. MMLawn

Thanks for the site info. We are going to use them as annual type plants and seeing how it is so hat and humid here during the late spring and all summer I just thought they might make it a while outside and if so will really add some "wow" color to some exsisting beds.

7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

Please keep us posted on how they do,maybe we can all take a page from your book and introduce some new and exciting thing into the more manageable micro climates on different jobs,I always try to go with plantings that are out of the ordinary for that wow factor you are after,good luck.