Crsuhed/Recycled Concrete as a base???

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by LB1234, Aug 21, 2007.

1. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

I'm bidding on a small SRW installation in jackson, NJ in ocean county. Approximately 45 lf and 20" of exposed wall height.

I pulled into one of the local mason suppliers and asked for a price on QP. Guy looked at me like I had three heads. I said its 3/4 stone with fines mixed in it. We use it for paver and wall bases. He said he didn't know what I was talking about. he said 'oh, road stone'. I said yes. He says no we don't carry that.

I look outside at isles and isles of pavers and wall block and ask what the installers use around here...he said everyone uses crushed concrete because its cheaper. He said the nearest place to get road stone is toms river (pretty far for those not familiar with the area).

So my question is...is this okay? Has anyone done this before and with what type of results?

thx, LB

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Thats all we have access to around here. All I have to say is watch for quality, there can be alot of garbage in it if you don't get it from a reputable yard. It's just recycled concrete crushed to 1", 3/4 minus, or they also have 3/8 minus blends as well. Some plants have state certified material.

3. LB1234

I was kinda worried about that. I did notice that the local township roads base was crushed concrete. It was weird...for me at least. I'm only going to need 2 yards of the material. I might just pick it up locally the night before and just travel down with it.

4. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Man where i am we have quarries every where, so Qp is easy to get. I remember when i did a job in central jersey the QP i got done there WAS HORRIBLE. Had clay mixed in with it.

5. LB1234

Ya I know about that...not the clay aspect but QP that was mostly 3/4 clean. Was very tough to compact. I wound up getting some fines a mixing it in cause it was so bad. I guess the postive is it drains well.

Thinking back I probablly should have told them to take it back;)

6. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

i used it my first year before I realized that you are supposed to use qp. none of my jobs have suffered from using it, and i have used it again as a subbase for driveways since it is good at sucking up moisture on wet jobs. My only problem was sometimes it would have alot of dirt in it.

7. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

thats all we use also (RCA). we get state blend only which is certified by NYSDOT for use in highway construction. We use to have a supplier that gave us pure crushed concrete, but they stopped doing it for us.

8. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Recycled is suitable to use, as long as the pieces aren't too big.
    QP/Road Stone/2A Modified are all the same thing. It's actually a blend of 3/4 clean/clay/& screenings. Most importantly whether you use recycled or stone, you must keep it damp. In the hot sun, the stone will dry out and all your fines will fall off. As you rake and compact, you'll be left with the clean aggregate at the top. Hose it down! I always see crews working with dry stone. Thats a big no no! :nono:

9. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been using recycled concrete for years and many of the jobs have been specified by engineers. As has been mentioned, the key is a quality material of 3/4" minus. It will compact very tightly and makes a great base for walls and flat work.

If you still prefer a stone blend, contact Pantano's in Mahwah. It's not that far from Jackson, right off of Rt 33. I believe they call it dirty blue. Or you can go to the west and deal with Yardville Supply. either dealer will have just about anything you may need.

Kirk

10. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Yardville is 9 miles from Jackson, while Mahwah is 90 miles. (oops?) There are plenty of suppliers around Jackson who carry it. Clayton is everywhere. They are in Lakewood.

Champ