Crude, but I think you would be proud

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by JDUtah, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

So I did it, finally, lol. I was going to wait until I had the DO2 meter, microscope, qualified compost(or vermicompost) source, sufficient brewer, kelp and fish oil supplier, etc.. but I am officially brewing my first AACT.

Story goes... I was going to throw down a molasses test for some thatch (area with bad bug damage). Bought the molasses, and said, you know, the area does have a little fungi attacking it, so I might as well throw down a little good herd as I do it.

So it ends up I am brewing it in my 25 gallon sprayer, I have no idea if I got the inputs right but eh, it's a throw together test anyway. 15 gallons water (for 5,000 square feet), 24 ounces molasses, 1/4 cup NPK fert, 3 cups bagged compost, and I threw in 3 oz 123 ICT for kicks and giggles.

As you can see in the picks I am using a small (very small) fish tank air pump. I'll brew it for another 3.5 hours then spray. (might add a little more molasses right before I spray so the thatch test can still have a chance) I'll test the area but leave a 'control' strip. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Like I said, crude, but I thought I would show you guys that I am slowly moving along. :)

IMAGE_061.jpg

IMAGE_064.jpg

IMAGE_067.jpg

IMAGE_072.jpg

2. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

There really is no need for you to shot in the dark like this.
    There is plenty of info on how to correctly brew AACT.

3. JDUtah

from UT

I'm glad you are happy I even gave it a try Phasthound. :wink:

Any CT imo is a shot in the dark without the right testing/control equipment and proper inputs .. I don't have 1 grand to spend on things.. so hey, at least I'm playing with it.

Me read? I don't know how!

Phasthound, What do YOU suggest I did wrong?

4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

well... I see it like this.. you got to start somewhere and now you have something to build off of.....

5. JDUtah

from UT

My sentiments exactly... thx.

6. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

that is the sadest thing I have seen in a while, oh if you only heard the guys in the back ground.LOLOL. the npk what the heck was ya thinkin!!! and the air supply is so small and the large bubbles.LOLOL. that brew needs to start its way to the toilet, and that way it wont hurt the lawn. oh go d I m sorry, but I cant evn stop laughing on this one, I got to calll mike so he can see this,ROFL

7. treegal1

build off, its like junk yard compost tea wars, get a bucket and a good air pump, now this is the hard part, its compost tea, not molasses tea or npk sludge, after the whole N post did you not get that the ammonium is poison!

here let me call you a tow truck so that they can pull your head out of...........
    http://www.taunton.com/finegardening/how-to/articles/brewing-compost-tea.aspx

8. treegal1

is this a comedy bit like slap stick or stand up, oh that hurts..................:laugh:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:good luck with that pump,:laugh::laugh:

9. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Well, now he knows what not to do right? Like I said, he now has something to learn from... maybe learn from was the right words to use?

10. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

wow flag on the play :)