Crunchy St. Augustine...what to do??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Cathman, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

So my sister in law calls me to take a gander at her lawn. The neighbor put down weed and feed earlier in the year...guessing march/april, but her lawn sure doesnt look like it. It is semi green with some yellow in it, but walking across it feels crunchy. We have had plenty of rain here in texas so i do not think it is a dry thing. She also has a sprinkler system that runs every other day at 6 am for 18 minutes...not sure how much that is putting on it.

Anyway, what could she put on it to help green it up and make it plush again? I dont do fert so i have no clue and dont want to tell her to put something on it that burns or kills it. Any help would be appreciated.
  2. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

pics would nice....i am just guessing here but if its crunchy i would almost guess it needs water...but a pic would nice to see....
  3. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Check for chinch bugs. Excessive thatch or even a possible grub problems as well. Texas has been getting a ton of rain so it could be a lot of things.
  4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Texas had a bad drought and now excessive rain. With out actually being there and seeing for myself I don't think I could diagnoses the problem. In fact I might even have to have tissue samples. But My point is I have heard Texas has been having a lot of Take all Patch (Gaeumannomyces graminis graminis). Sounds to me more like a fungus problem than anything else.
  5. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be willing to bet you nailed this one on the head.
  6. Cathman

Cathman LawnSite Member

So i drove by her house today to take a quick was raining again and yes, i melt :) ....we have been having these quick showers each day for a couple of weeks now. Anyway, looks like she has some thatch in there from her lco mowing way too low. Also looked at a few blades of the grass...some folded, some wide not sure that it is being underwatered....with all the rain and he sprinkler going i would not think so. And with the watering being in the morning i would think it gets burnt off each day even with the scattered showers. Oh, and i dont think it is Take all patch, as now that i think about it, it has been like this the whole summer (remember a few months back i was there and thought her grass felt wierd).

So for now, i told her to tell them to go up on the height. What can be done about the dead stuff laying in there? Will it decompose in time or should something be done about it. It looks like the grass could also use some nutrients, but then again, it could be because it is being choked from the dead stuff. Not a ton, but i could pull some by hand. I will also try and get some pics as with anything else, they are worth a ton to figure this out.
  7. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Mow high and water only as needed. I live west of you along I-10 and haven't watered once all year. Keep watering like she is and she'll have more probs.