crushed seashells

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by wall's, May 4, 2003.

1. wall's

wall's LawnSite Member
    from boston

I'm located in Ma and my customer wants crushed seashells in the font of his house. Does anyone know where i can get them?

2. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you have oyster or clam processing plants nearby? Ask a fishmonger.

3. onemancrew

onemancrew LawnSite Member
    from tn. #7

Go to a aquarium shop, one that mainly deals in salt water.

4. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Cape Cod has lots of places to get shell for driveways. Many landscape supply yards that carry crushed stone also have shell. It does make a nice white driveway, a little rough on barefeet.

Where in MA are you?

5. wall's

wall's LawnSite Member
    from boston

I'm located in Gloucester,MA any names of these places where to get these shells?

6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Now that is the darndest thing ...never heard of it.
    Does anyone have a pic I could see?

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Quote:Does anyone have a pic I could see?

Fresh shells awaiting application
    [​IMG]

Close-up of a well-used beautiful shell driveway
    [​IMG]

8. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Wall's - Man, if you're located in Gloucester, MA, I wouldn't think you'd have a hard time finding shells!!! A trip to the docks or an early morning trip to the diner near the docks asking that question should find you plenty of places. It is still a fishing town, isn't it?

BTW - Nice town! I used to go there quarterly for about a week at a time to take water sea water samples back in the mid 80's. It was related to the sewage treatment plant wanting to extend their waste pipe out further. I'll never forget hefting coolers full of water samples up to the docks at low tied (UGHH)...you've got a way bigger tidal variation there then I have here on L.I. Sound in CT.

Sorry to get off topic, but you'd probably do better asking around locally than here.

9. AGLA

I'm sure you can get them closer than the Cape. I would call a few sand and gravel companies.

I saw some yesterday, retailing at $ 34 per CY.

10. AGLA

Here is a shell drive (that needs the edging that the homeowner deleted).[​IMG]