Crushed Stone

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by FIREMAN Q, Mar 24, 2006.

FIREMAN Q LawnSite Senior Member

I have done some searching for some crushed stone coverages but I was unable to find the right answers.

I am working on an estimate for about 1500 square feet area that will need to have stone put in. this is a new install. I have a few questions about it. How deep should i spread the stone. Is 4 inches to much or not enough. I am going to put down landscape fabric also. I am planning on using 3/4 stone

I found here that 1 yard of mulch @ 3 inches will cover about 100 square feet but I can'f find how much 1 ton of rock will cover.

Heres the $$$ question. How do you determine the price for the install. SHould I be charging for 2 guys for 2 hours per ton?? How long will it take to spread a ton of rock??

Any help on this would be appreciated.

:drinkup: :drinkup:
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Fireman..Mulch and rock coverage is about the same..but one man, one man hour per yard or less
    not two....per ton
  3. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

When you buy stone the quarry or landscape yard should ahve a break down of the coverage, all sones weigh a lil differnet especially comparing say lava rock to a solid stone, but the palce you purchase should ahve coverage rates, check with them
  4. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

1 ton @ 2" deep will cover approx 150 sf.

Would you charge more for a rock installation than you would for mulch????

any more suggestions on some of the things I may be forgetting???

thanks again for the tips.
  6. befnme

dadgone right i would .my mulch is 45 per yd. delivered and installed . my crushed brick is 160.00 per ton delivered and installed .
  7. treedoc1

treedoc1 LawnSite Senior Member

1 ton of 3/4 will give you 50 sq ft at 4"
  8. befnme

i guess i shoyuld mention this is crushed brick

does anyone have a set formula to determine how much rock is needed in any given situation??

I have 2 areas that will need some stone. the first area is 1100 sq ft. I originally gave a total of 1500sqft but the customer wants it broken down. into areas. Using the 1ton will cover 50sq@4" then I will need 22 ton. Does this sound right or is it too much.
  10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member