Cryogenic process on blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T-Bone, Feb 13, 2001.

1. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the cryogenic process on mower,
    edger or trimmer line?

I have been told the blades will last two to four times
    longer,and trimmer line last considerably longer as well.

The treatment will cost $5 per mower blade and this would include a hand full of edger blades and a spool of trimmer line at no extra cost.

Thanks for your input.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

No I haven't that I know of. What is this? Could you explain it a bit more? I'm all for making things last longer.

3. T-Bone

T-Bone LawnSite Member

Eric
    This is a process used on drill bits chain saw blades mower blades etc.
    They use nitrogen dropping temp. to 350 below for about 24 hours, then bring temp back up slow.This removes soft spots in the steel followed by tempering process.
    The local company told me to bring in a spool of trimmer line with the blades,that they don't use the tempering process on the trimmer line as they do the steel.
    He said the city of Wichita experimented last year using this on there mower blades and had very good results.

4. Eric ELM

This sounds interesting. If you have this done, let us know how much longer your blades last.

5. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

How much does this process cost?

6. Double D

Double D LawnSite Member

Nicklas golf made some new golf clubs last year with this process, Makes the metal harder than standard steel.

7. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

The Idea behind the process is that by slowing the molecular movement to near zero achieved at -473 degrees. the molecules will line up in their most efficicient pattern. The idea has been around for a long time. A friend of mine had a Bic razor that was dipped and it lasted more than 8 months of shaving every day. I spoke with a guy that owned one of these deals and he was dipping everything from nascar engine blocks to musical instruments ( they say the tone is better). Anyway it is always worth trying. Good luck.

8. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

They were doing this to Softball bats (may still be doing it) Last I heard the jury was still out on whether it improved them or not. I know the ones we had on our team still dented and eventually cracked. The website "softball.com" had an article on the process at one time. Of course the companies doing it touted it as the best process out there.

9. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

If you know a web site or how we could find
    this sort of thing locally it would be appreciated.
    In other words what are we looking for.
    I couldnt find crogenic process advertised anywhere.
    THANKS

10. Eric ELM

AWM, look on the internet. I did a search on cryogenic and found 43,495 results, so there must be one near you.

Island Lawn, he said in the original post $5.00 a blade.