CT Crabgrass Help Needed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by dschribs, Aug 26, 2009.

1. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

Why it is every year I get lots of crabgrass around this time?? My lawn has virtually zero crab grass up until Mid August or so - then it honestly starts to get a little out of hand. I've just been pulling it but it's a losing battle.

I always though crabgrass was more of a problem in the spring. Should I have used a pre-emergent? If so, when? I always thought that a pre-emergent was applied in March or April no? If I had applied it back then, would it have prevented the crabgrass from sprouting now??

FYI - I'm in CT.

2. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Crabgrass in TN germinates in June and we're lower and warmer than y'all. So your one time a year pre-em in Early spring is gone. Crab is constantly setting seeds. I'll be in a minority to say that pre-em one time a year is wrong--so be it. However I put it down every 85-90 days and I use a good grade (Barricade with Anderson's fertilize). Minimal crab except on high pressure area next to fields. Little or no crabgrass should be seen up there is the springtime. Just think or research the germination cycle of crabgrass and therein lies your answer. Most seeds need 55+ degrees to germinate, however crabgrass with the hard shell needs 70+ for about 5 or more days to sprout. Others may say Bulls*it, but that's my theory. I'm old and been around the block more times than the Good Humor truck.

3. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

So one application of pre-emerg in Spring would prevent most Crab grass from sprouting in late Summer? Interesting....

Say March 15 or so in CT - does that sound about right?

4. borwicks

borwicks LawnSite Senior Member

No. Monitor your ground temps. When they hit 50 degrees for at least 2 days you should get it down. I believe it takes 5 days of ground temps at 50. Then put it down every 2 months after that. You usually want it down by may 1st in my area. Then 2 more applications after that. If the lawn is thick and in good shape it should keep most the seeds from germinating without the pre-emergence. Bare spots and along edges you will see it. We shoot the active annual grasses with Q4

5. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

That the way a lot of folks think. Did you read my post following your problem? No way will pre-em last a whole season. Rain, foot traffic, irrigation, heat, all take down pre-em. Rain takes it way below the level of the seeds. With all of the rain, no wonder there's so much crabgrass. Pre-em works best when it is just slightly (1/8")below ground level. It surrounds the seeds and frys the hair root when it sticks out of the seed hull. More pre-em per application stays on the surface longer and is effective longer. However that much stunts the hair roots of the good grass. Put it down on March 15 and another application will be due the 1st of June--just in time when the crabgrass is germinating and sticking its foot in the water for testing. This is for my own lawn in Tennessee and is fescues not the SC lawns were I use "Gallery".

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  6. borwicks

Thumbs Up..I agree 100 percent.. I switched from 1 to 2 last year. Still get burned. Iam doing 3 next year.

7. bx24

bx24 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA/TX

People get issues since the apply / spray too late and get break outs by curbs/driveways or they do not do split apps and/ or fall apps..

Kicker is read the labal for Pre-M / Dim EC etc..All there.

8. borwicks

Good point. I may just spray the edges with a pre-m come this time of year.

9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Put your first application down on the day of your first mowing in spring. Apply again about 6 weeks later. (If you have had problems in the past years.)

10. dschribs

dschribs LawnSite Member

So how's this for next year??

Pre-emergant - March 15
    Another application 6 weeks later

Alos - what's the best product to use in CT???

Thanks for the help!!!