CT GVWR Laws and when do you need a CDL

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CutRight, Feb 19, 2006.

1. PTSolutions

PTSolutions LawnSite Silver Member
    from OH

yea your right, i forgot you still need B cert.

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

That is correct.

That is incorrect.

You where right the first time.

3. Duffster

from Midwest

Don't anyone let DVS see this thread. :laugh:

4. PTSolutions

from OH

yep duffster

if you have a combination (truck+trailer) and your over 26K combined and your trailer is over 10K gvw then it calls for a class A cdl

if your truck is 26,001K, without a trailer then you need the class b

heres the easiest way to decide that ive found:

[​IMG]

5. Duffster

from Midwest

Yes Sir that chart is very handy but still proves to be difficult for some.

Your statement about the 19,500 truck pulling a 8k not needing a CDL was correct. If the trailer is under 10k it doesn't even factor into the GCWR, as far as CDL is concerned.

That is why I said that GravelyNut was incorrect saying 26k+1 is CDL either way. It is possible to drive a rig with a 36k GCWR and still not need a CDL if the truck is 26k or under and the trailer is 10k or under.

:)

6. bobcatoh

bobcatoh LawnSite Member

Guys as much as I hate to jump into these cdl threads I feel like I can clear up the class A.

The graph clearly asks if the weight of the vehicle or combination is over 26,000lbs. If the answer is no then you do not need a cdl.

The gross weight of the truck and trailer are the only thing that matters. If they are over 26,001lbs, they can be empty and you will be cited.

The above example with the truck at 19,500 and trailer at 8,000 puts you over 26,000 lbs, thus you need a cdl.

If you are under cdl, the DOT will use the bridge formula so your trailer axles can legally carry 20,00 per axle on the rear and trailer axles and 12,000 on the steering axle.

So a 1/2 ton little Nissan truck with a two axle trailer can legally carry 62,000 lbs.

This info came from the head guy at the Ohio State Patrol that operates the States DOT.

I was as confused as the rest of you so I just picked up the phone and called them.

He also said that as long as the axle weights are fine that the only ones that care about how much weight you are carrying were the manufacturers, and the lawyers if you got into a wreck.

Here is one of my rigs. The gvcwr is 25,600Lbs.

One other thing you need to look at is the tires that are on your trailer.

More than likely to weight rating for the tires doesn't match the axle rating.

truck and trailer.jpg

7. Duffster

from Midwest

The bolded part is absolutely wrong, like I have said previously. If the trailer is 0k or under it doesn't even come into play.

Please explain how you think that combo needs a CDL.

The rest of your post I will leave for now.

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't go crossing any statelines with it or you'd find out how wrong you can be. And there are states that go by what the FMCSA say applies as to what is a CMV in state. NC is one of those states. CT is another. Florida says CMVs start at 10K+1. NY say:
    To operate a CMV you need to have a CDL Class C minimum or an exemption on the CDL ( like Ohio's K-2 exemption for in state use only). Feds lowered the bar saying even a pickup towing a trailer is a CMV if the GCWR or AGCW is 10K+1 crossing statelines if for profit. And is therefore subject to the FMCSRs. That is in the 49CFR390.5 interpretations. For profit can be something as simple as a winning trophy (CT) or taking the CMV to the next state to get it repaired (Fed). Ohio adopted the FMCSR in whole.

From 390.5:
    From the interpretation section.
    So if you tow like Duffster says without a CDL, watch out as the states are watching to earn money any way they can. And having the CDL is one way of them not getting any more money than it and the Med cert, triangles and fire extingusher, log book cost.

And also lookout if you have a permanent water tank on a CDL A or B required vehicle as more than 119 gallons requires the driver to have a tanker endorsement.

9. PTSolutions

from OH

looking up my states cdl requirements refers me to the federal regulations. So, if i abide by the federal level requirements and am safe here in ohio, If I cross into another state with higher requirements than federal, then im fair game?

10. bobcatoh

bobcatoh LawnSite Member

Duffster,

Look at the (Do you need a cdl graph) above. The first item asks "Does the vehicle or combination manufactures gcwr over 26,000?" The example of 19,500 & 8,000 would be yes so you need a cdl.

The best thing to do if you are not sure is just call them, they won't bite.