CT GVWR Laws and when do you need a CDL

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by CutRight, Feb 19, 2006.

1. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

CT has endorsements for everything! Wow.

Ontario specs:

I hold a class ACZ license, which 'A' means I'm rated for class 8 vehicles, in ANY combination from single trailer to pups to double trailers. 'C' means motor coach or any non-school bus with no passenger maximum, 'Z' is for air brake endorsement, and the only endorsement you can get. If you get your 'A' license in Ontario, you have to get your 'Z' as well, as all class 8 vehicles here have air brakes.

The 10K trailer rule applies here as well. If the total weight being towed is more than 10K a commercial license is required.

Ontario Licensing:
    A - tractor trailer
    B - school bus
    C - motor coach
    D - dump truck, trailer less than 10K
    F - bus/shuttle under 20 passengers
    G - general car license (the one everyone can get through a cereal box mail in order!)
    M - motorcycle
    X - if you wear glasses this will be on the license as a 'condition' not as a license grade
    Z - air brake endorsement

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

You are mixing up your definitions of CMV's, one has to do with CDL's and one has to do with the threshold that require the safety equipment and med card and such.

3. Duffster

from Midwest

No, no other state can hold you to higher regs than the federal regs.

4. Duffster

from Midwest

What does the next box say?

5. 360ci

You can't read the graph right. It's GVWR over 26K, not combined. If the trailer and payload equate to more than 10K, a license upgrade will be required. If the trailer is 8K total weight, a CDL is not required unless the GVWR is over 26K, so with it being 19.5K, a CDL is not required.

OBAMA?

6. Duffster

from Midwest

Come bobcatoh, even a canadain can read our rules better then you can.

LOL:laugh:

7. Duffster

from Midwest

Ok boys here are the Federal Regs.

I know of no state other than CA that differs from these signifigantly.

§383.91 Commercial motor vehicle groups. (a) Vehicle group descriptions. Each driver applicant must possess and be tested on his/her knowledge and skills, described in subpart G of this part, for the commercial motor vehicle group(s) for which he/she desires a CDL. The commercial motor vehicle groups are as follows:

(a)(1) Combination vehicle (Group A)—Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds).

(a)(2) Heavy Straight Vehicle (Group B)—Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR.

(a)(3) Small Vehicle (Group C)—Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F).

Notice that class A is for combo's over 26k that include a trailer over 10k.

I don't think anyone here is confused about that.

Class B is for straight trucks over 26k (ORstraight trucks pulling trailers under10k. Notice it doesn't say anything about combos over 26k.

Class C is for trucks under 26k that require endorsements.

So like I said the original example of the combo of the 19.5k truck/8k trailer would need NO CDL at all. ;)

8. 360ci

I know quite a bit, even more if I make reference. I had some state training in Michigan after I upgraded my license in Ontario!:

Happy happy joy joy

[​IMG]

9. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

I quoted you from the official NY site but to remind you again:
    Found at http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/cdl/cdl10sec01.pdf Suggest you look at the chart below because it is copied from where the above stops. Class B allows towing and combinations as long as it doesn't exceed 26000. It meets what I said previously.

nycdl.jpg

10. Duffster

from Midwest

You forgot this section that explains when a CDL is needed.

Notice that combinations over 26k that include traiers under 10k are not included.

Actually it doesn't.

A class D allows the same thing and meets what I said previously.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010