CT Liscensing Questions

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Raven386, Feb 11, 2007.

1. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I was looking into getting liscensed so i can start putting down Herbicides & Fert. I was just wondering for the people in CT where'd you have to go for your test? and whats it like, does it go off of the "Pesticide Operators Manual"? and also does anyone remember by any chance how long the test took? Im kind of nervous about it. i havent taken a test since i got out of school a couple years ago. Thanks for all your help!!!
    - Matt.

2. My 2 cents. Sub out all fertilizing, get your B# from the DEP, collect 5-10% on the bill. But, if you want get a supervisor license contract the DEP via their web site and go from there. Note: Most major garden centers run prep classes as well as Uconn. Good Luck Raven

3. Raven386

from CT

Thanks. i was thinking about subbing out Fertilizing on any Commercial Accounts, but with my residentials id like to be doing those. and eventually as i learn and get my prices up to par id like to start offering it as a service to all customers. also i just wanted to have it for weed killers and grub control etc, nothing major. Thanks for your help! ill check into a couple places to see if they have the prep classes. Thanks Again! - Matt

4. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Raven

Check out the DEP website. Just search for supervisory testing, and it will give you all the info you need, plus contact info. Linda and Christine are both very nice and very helpful.The test should be coming up soon. It covers a huge amount of ground. Know your math, how to figure lbs of AI from a particular formulation, know how to diagnose and cure any and all problems. There is a section where they show slides and you have to identify the weed/bug/disease. It took me a couple of hours, easy. It was 7 years ago, so I don't remember exact time. I have been told that it is the hardest test of its kind in the country. There is no shame in flunking it.
    STUDY STUDY STUDY

5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Oh, and good luck

6. Raven386

from CT

Thanks! im going to try and find someplace that has prep classes. i was thinking about going, if i flunk oh well, if i pass great. but then id have an idea what its like. and what to expect.

7. Raven- In all the prep classes they will give you a pre-test (take it after your 1st, middle & last class), use it. 1-3hrs 4 days a week is my recommendation for study outside of class (study groups help alot as well). And yes it is a very hard test and then comes the ID part. You mite want to take the applicators test first (very easy) and work part-time (1 day a week) for someone that offers fertilizing (maybe the person that will be doing your commercial props), it will help alot and study through-out the year, take the prep class in the off season and then bang out the test in 2008. Good Luck Bro.

8. Raven386

from CT

Thanks! I talked to Linda i believe, and she told me i could get a Ornamentals & turf Liscense, because i wasnt going to be putting down any kind of pesticides. but i havent found any info about that either. Thanks for everyones help... I might be needing someone for Fert. for the 07 season. depending on contracts.