1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CT manual says to sharpen your blades every 10 hours. Do all you guys do this?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Pittsburgh Panther, May 24, 2005.

1. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

And if you don't how long do you let it go in between sharpening? Also, any suggestions to make it easier to get the blades off the deck to sharpen them? Also, what tools do you all use to sharpen and balance your blades. Sorry ahead of time if these are stupid questions.
  2. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Every 8 hours of use for me.
  3. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

I do mine everyday to every mower that leaves the shop. If its 3 hrs or if its 8 hrs they get swaped out when they come in.
  4. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

I have my blades sharpened/balanced every 15 hours. I keep a spare set ready. I use a high-lift floor jack and jack stands. Breaker bar to loosen the blades and a 1/2" torque wrench to put them on (2x4 to stop the blade from spinning). I can change all 3 blades in about 10-15 minutes.
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Trailer gate, and 15/16" on the impact gun.

Scraping and swapping takes 10 minutes.

Saturday and Wednesday nite they get changed on the Lazer.
  6. HazyDavy

HazyDavy LawnSite Member

Personally I think it's an overkill. I sharpen mine once per season without any adverse affects to my lawn. I also have a very small lawn though(maybe 1500-2000 square feet).
  7. Pittsburgh Panther

Pittsburgh Panther LawnSite Member
    from N.W. Pa

I did it today with hydrolic car jack and jack stands. I took me a little longer because it was my first time but I got everything change and cleaned and sprayed with pam spray in about 1 hour. The 5 in 1 scraper really does a nice job.

thank again,

Pittsburgh Panther
  8. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Depends partially on how high or low you cut. I have a neighbor who absolutely scalps with a 5' finish deck on his tractor and hasn't sharpened in over five years. His blades are like round line on a string trimmer which cuts better close to the ground, but at four inches it is much harder to cut anything because the grass tends to bounce away from a dull, round cutting edge. He does not care that it tears the grass as he believes that this "stunts" it and he does not have to mow as often.

If you cut high and like a good looking lawn you have to sharpen more often. On the other hand, by cutting high the blades stay sharper a bit longer.

Personally, I now have enough spare blades for all my equipment that I can wait for a rainy day to sharpen a big pile of blades. I used to sharpen every day but it got tedious. And I power wire brush the blades clean and use a commercial balancer. No way would I be without an impact wrench and a clicker torque wrench.