CT / Northeast guys feeling a pinch?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cslawnandlandscape, Mar 22, 2013.

1. cslawnandlandscape

cslawnandlandscape LawnSite Member
    from CT

with the never ending winter any of you guys feeling a pinch?

90% of my regular mowing clients are fine having sent in their invoices for April (which I scaled back) but I've got 10% who flat out refuse to pay or are late paying because of the weather (their words).

Also I've gotten a handful...maybe...of calls for new service or estimates.

Last year this time it was in the 70's & phone was ringing off the hook; I feel like I'm praying (silly I know) for a miracle the same happens this year.

:dizzy:

2. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

same boat here we have a few inches of snow on the ground and calling for 3-6 more Sunday... this winter will not let go. last year we got 4 April cuts in

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

I'll take the blame. Because I saved up the money and placed an add in the local newspaper for the months of March and April is why we are having a slow start with the weather warming up and the slow customer response.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

It's painful every day I don't work is 1000-1500 I'm not going to have in April to pay bills buy new mowers and make payroll with. 2005 was worse went to April 9th before we could do the first clean ups.

5. jones68

jones68 LawnSite Senior Member

Just upped our forecast to 4-8" ...... Great
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. sweetcutgrass

sweetcutgrass LawnSite Member

7. HDLLandscaping

HDLLandscaping LawnSite Member

I picked up one client (first year doing business) to do a $30 bi-weekly mow and pull a few weeds (less than a 20x20 mowing area). And they also just gave me a $1000 job putting that weed fabric under and area of stone thats not to big... problem is the snows in my way, my first mow should have been this weekend there.

8. magicmike

magicmike LawnSite Senior Member

im actually happy with the winter weather because I am still waiting on my approval of my license, but once i get it ill be hoping for nicer weather

9. RSK Property Maintenance

RSK Property Maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be happier when it's warm and my phone is ringing and i get 5 new voicemails a day for lawn mowing for a month or two straight! but i hear yah, i'd rather it be warmer and me doing estimates for mowing accounts right now instead of in 2 or 3 weeks.

10. DalesLanscaping

DalesLanscaping LawnSite Member

YES!!! It is hard to say I am going to treat someone's lawn when the SNOW is sitting on it. As long as I can get out next week everything should be good. I mean last year was great and made a few extra bucks with the warm weather but in past several years we were always mainly looking at April first as a go time