1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CTL in snow report

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by swanny, Feb 9, 2010.

1. swanny

swanny LawnSite Senior Member

Ran my Takeuchi TL 120 (factory tracks) in the past two snow storms. Clocked about 35 hours on it. This past weekend's storm dumped 30" of mostly heavy wettish snow on us...machine did absolutely wonderful...so much I wouldn't of wanted a wheel machine even with tire chains. Was much more productive than a truck with plow or even a skid with wheels. Though my hunch is that an ASV PT60 would have been even better.

I could walk right through 3' foot snow drifts with no problem (with 7.5 myers plow up out of snow). Typical driveway in the two developments I'm plowing were averaging 150' of 12' wide drive with 30'x40' parking pad down by the house. Some of them rather steep. Took 20 minutes or less plowing with another 10 minutes chatting with homeowner. Was very meticulous in getting snow away from house and garage doors. Didn't get stuck once. Two speed was very handy. Everyone was more than happy to pay a Ben Franklin for the service.

Best way for machine was to stick the plow about 20" down with straight blade and do an X pattern clearing driveway, then I finish up the remainder with the angled blade. When I got down to the icy stuff the key was to start out slow to avoid track spin. I calipered the track tread thickness before I started and ended up with the same average measurements when I got through.

Can't believe the CTL is condemned by many for snow removal. We're supposed to get another 12 to 18" on top of this. Many parking lots and side streets are still full of snow.
  2. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

They are condemned by people that don't know how to operate them or they read it somewhere on the internet so it must be true. We have a Blizzard 810SS on our CT322.
  3. stuvecorp

stuvecorp LawnSite Fanatic

Glad you had a good experience but what type of snow did you have? Were you able to get down to blacktop? I tried last year plowing the yard and it was not a fun experience.
  4. swanny

5. swanny

This is a pic of the last bit of our driveway that was drifted over with 5' drifts in places. Snow pile on right is 9' tall or so. Not a big deal for you mid-western guys, but for us this was a rare event. Makes having a quarter mile driveway a pain. :)
  6. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

When i was in a big jam last year i took my bobcat t190 out. I put my best operator on it. He said it did fine. I think if you have the right person in the machine it will do just fine. There calling for 10-15 inches here tonight so i may have to take the ctl out
  7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

YOU got all our snow! Around here it is about time to get out the lawnmower........usually we have 12"-24" on the ground - right now it is zero, nada, zilch. Nice to here about the tracked machine.......
  8. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

Hmmmm ......I would like to think that I am a very skilled operator with most large and small equipment.....with the exception of a Gradall. I must say ......my CT322 with factory Bridgestone tracks just plane sucks in any snow on paved surfaces with any incline. Actually, once traction is lost ( on hard packed wet snow) it is a very dangerous machine.

Gravel areas are of course no problem. The low ground pressure across the entire track surface in combination with fixed rollers of the CT 322 is a recipe for the possibility of an out of control ride that cannot be stopped even with the cutting edge (without teeth).

I have to say that the Takies that I have used are a$$ heavy and with the radial lift path, which must help when using a fixed bottom CTL for clearing inclined areas.
  9. Shadetree Ltd

Shadetree Ltd LawnSite Senior Member

All of our plowing is on paved surfaces. Our machine has original tracks with a heavy 700 hours of use. We only plow one incline though, all of our areas where the machine is parked are relatively flat.
  10. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I have used mine for snow this year and as long as you don't have packed snow/ice it works fine. If the suface is polished ice your not pushing anything.