1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CTL ride

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by YellowDogSVC, Jun 21, 2008.

1. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i like how the CASE chewed up and spit out that 4x4 at the end
  3. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

Somebody posted those a couple of weeks ago... I choose to go around 4X4's and rocks, or push them the hell out of the way.:usflag:

Let's see some videos of working in #2 or #4 size stone, especially when mixed with mud, and see how that goes. If a machine couldn't handle that, it wouldn't work for me.
  4. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I agree 100% with you on that one. Real life situations are more important than showing how smooth a machine is driving over a 4x4 or a big rock. How long would those tracks last if you kept driving over big rocks like that?:hammerhead:
  5. Dirtman2007

Dirtman2007 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm going to have to agree with the others, only a lever puller would drive over object like those. Can you imagine how long your tracks you last if you drove over rocks the size of that last one throughout the day?
    Man I would ask a fellow to leave if he did that to one of my machines!

I know it's just showing how the u/c us better on the asv, but in real life you just dont drive over any object in your path:nono:
  6. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I don't think my kidneys would last as long as the tracks running over those bigger rocks!

Personally, with a wheeled machine, I try to go slow unless i'm on a graded road or paved road. I hate bumps!
  7. jmf

jmf LawnSite Member
    from ny

When it comes to smooth there is no comparison to ASV suspensions. I didn't rely on a video when I decided on my SR80. I demo'd the others. ASV is a fairly new company and they were in a position to try something new. With the exception of CAT, the others are vested in the old way. Suspension tracks are the future. Don't believe anything you see or hear. Drive one. Yes, the suspended tract has it's price, but in those cases where the buyer is the operator... it's worth it.

8. KPS

KPS LawnSite Member

I agree with you. While the suspended undercarrige is not for every crew or job, as an owner operator my kidneys thank me every time im done running our machine all day.
  9. Digdeep

Digdeep LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think the tracks would last very long on any of them, but I think the point that ASV may be trying to make is that a suspension offers benefits to the machine and operator compared to one that does not offer one (why did Bobcat just release a suspension..of some sort...when they said for years that there was no advantage). Why is there ride control offered on skids now? I think some of the benefits would be less wear and tear on the chassis of the machine over time..you can't avoid all bumps, less wear and tear on the operator..anyone whos operated both for significant amounts of time care to chime in, better traction..that is what Bobcat is now saying, advantages in load and carry because you can travel faster. These are just a few of the advantages I can see.
  10. YellowDogSVC

from TX

I can't speak for CTL's since I only operate skids but it would seem to me that a move to a suspension uc would open the door for faster travel speeds without sacrificing the operators organs. Everyone wants to do things faster and I think two speed machines are becoming more popular. I haven't seen that many CTL's that can travel over 7 mph but maybe more are coming?