CTL -vs - Wheeled machine w/ tracks

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Total Landscape Solutions, May 9, 2007.

1. Total Landscape Solutions

Total Landscape Solutions LawnSite Member

Just looking for some opinions on what people think about wheeled machines with trail-blazers, or similar.

At two other companies I worked for, before owning my own business, we never had a CTL. We attached trail-blazers (tracks) over the wheels when we knew it would be muddy. Two guys could install a set in about 30 min.

I have ran CTL's before. With the exception of ground pressure per square inch, I don't see a real difference. When the tracks were on a Bobcat 843 or the John Deere skid loader, the machines were virtually unstoppable. The only complaint came from the mechanic. He said that the tracks put a lot of strain on the drive chains and wear them out faster.

Why not just purchase a wheeled machine and a set of tracks. Now you have both, a tire machine and a CTL (without the added $12-15,000)

Just looking for some opinions for those familiar with both.

2. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I found that with Bobcat's requirement for spacers, the machine was too wide with tracks. It came in at 80". I also found that the tires would spin under the tracks when muddy and that did damage to the sidewall of the tire -over time-. As far as the chains, etc., the new large frame bobcats have hefty chains. Even the older machines from late 90's that I ran didn't have any problems. I stopped running tracks a couple of years ago and sold my trailblazers. I just didn't like working in the mud, period.
    Have you looked at the Versatrack from Loegering? Yeah, it's expensive but you can take it on and off as needed.