1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

cub cadet commercial mowers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djflats, Aug 7, 2008.

1. djflats

djflats LawnSite Senior Member

Hello to everyone. I'm new and I'm not in lawn service or landscaping business but I am interested in things such as lawn care. This looked like a good site so here I am.
    Right now I have a Tank M48, 48", 19 HP Kawasaki. I think it's a 2004. I seen some of the new Cub Cadet mowers like the Tank, Enforcer, and the Recon. Towards the end of the year I'm thinking of getting a new mower. Cub Cadet is the only ZT dealer in my area. I'm curious about some of the main differences in the Cub Cadet ZT series. I know the Tank I have is a pretty heavy mower. Are the Enforcers and Recons just smaller commercial mowers, or should I say lower in price? I don't mow for a living, just around my house and also my dad's house. The total is about 5 1/2 acres. I have the Commercial M48 now because some of the terrain is a little rough. There are some "hilly" areas also.
    I would like to have a little more HP also, I think my 265 pounds drag it down some.:confused:
    By the way, does anyone know the blade tip speed of the Tank M48, the one I have? Thanks.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

the tank is the only way to go with the cub cadet ....with that kind of area you could get a bigger deck with a big engine , i have one like you have with 900 hours , the trade in in my area is between 3000 and 4000 which is good ........
  3. djflats

I would like to go up in HP and maybe up to a 54". There are a few tight areas where the 48" comes in handy. So far I've had no problems with the Tank. I guess I was just wondering if I should stay with a TANK or go with a smaller(lighter) commercial like the Enforcer or Recon. I seen a Recon today with a 25 horse Kohler and a 60" deck. It looks nice, I just haven't heard much about them.

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

i think they have some problems with them the 60 inch recon .the widt would be the same, they are not commercial ......................................
  5. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to trade for another Cub Cadet go commercial. If you want a little wider cut go with the 54".

The Tank is the commercial unit I'm talking about. I have a 2006 with the Command Cut Deck and it gives a beautiful cut. From what I have read the newer Select Cut Deck is even better yet.

For a homeowner use only a Tank should last many, many years and give good service.

6. djflats

With me just cutting 5 acres or so a week, do you think I should stay with a commercial or go to a larger residential? I'm just wondering how the larger residential mowers would hold up for the terrain I cut.(it's not real rough).
    I had talked to a guy that sold Hustlers and he seemed to think a residential ZT would be fine. That dealer isn't local though or I would also consider a Hustler.
    It sounds like the TANK may be my best bet then.
    Btw, do you know the blade tip speed of the TANK M48(48", 19 hp Kaw)? Thanks.
  7. djflats

I do see the TANK M54-KH. 54" cut with a 27 hp Kohler. That would be a nice upgrade.
    Let me ask you this. Would the M48-KW have much more power than my M48? I realize it's the same "cut" but would the boost in hp(4) from the 19 to the 23 Kawasaki be significant?
  8. thinksnow

thinksnow LawnSite Member

If you have a Lesco dealer near you there are still some 07 left over Ztwo's in the system. I just picked up the 60" for $5679. The Lesco Ztwo is the cub cadet tank with a different paint job. Any parts you may need you can get from the cub cadet dealer.
  9. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

We had an M48 with the 23hp kaw. Even the 23hp would bog down on hills. In my oppinion 23hp is way more than enough for a 48" mower but for some reason ours just didnt have any "balls". I think it has to do with the big pumps and wheel motors cub uses on the Tanks. We sold ours with only 400 hours on it when we got a new Gravely 160Z this spring.

I find it hard to believe you have no dealers that sell other brands around you. The Tanks are good mowers and I hear the new select cut deck is even better but our M48 was ROUGH. On a lawn that wasnt perfectly smooth it felt like it was going to jar my baby brain out of my head. :laugh:

JKUCSMA LawnSite Member
    Male, from OHIO

I have an older one with a 20hp Honda,just for home use,doesn't bog only in the fall when a mulch alot of leaves,think blade speed around 19000,I added a suspension bottom to my seat though.