cub cadet diesel tank mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tarp5350, May 12, 2007.

1. tarp5350

tarp5350 LawnSite Member

I have been looking at a cat powered cub cadet tank and i am asking if any one has any problems with the caterpillar engine. it looks like a heavy duty mower. what are the pros and cons for this mower.
  2. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

I want to know if they use heavier hydralics on it compared to the standard model?

From what I have been learning machines like that are good for all day running and where a heavier mower is not a problem.

You won't catch me buying a diesel for what mowing I do.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Hustler quit using the Cat diesel on thier mowers. Do some serching, there are problems.
  4. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

A few people that I talked to demoed Ferris's with the Cat diesels and were not impressed. They ended up going with gas engines. One guy owns a construction company and is very Cat loyal so that surprised me.
  5. Toad

Toad LawnSite Senior Member

I demmoed one last fall, power seemed ok,it was the 60" deck, but the front end of the machine was to light . I had problems going up steep grades without the front end popin up. to much weight back there . I think the hydro drive was the same as the gas engine tanks. With all the bells and whisles that came with the Kubota , I opted out on buying the Cub . (same price range also).
  6. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

Thanks //////
  7. Pumper

Pumper LawnSite Member

The engine Hustler used was a 3 cylinder engine. That is what gave them fits. It shook the machine so bad it was tearing things up. I don't know about the Cub or Ferris machines. My guess is either they aren't using the 3 cylinder version or they have it mounted so that it can take the vibration.

As for the drive system, Hustler went with something different because they wanted to try a new product from one of their suppliers. You don't have to have different pumps and wheel motors for the different engines. You just need to make sure and account for the added weight of the diesel engine when you design the drive circuit. The added weight will increase the oil temperature in the hydraulics, you have to account for that when you start out.
  8. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

n Hustler dealer told me the Hydro drive was a whole nother level of drive size, I think when you are trying to drive at 15 MPH it requires bigger components besides just the weight.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hustlers problems weren't with the CAT engine....they were with other things. Weight, drive system, PTO system and all of their inherent complications.
  10. CRF500

CRF500 LawnSite Member

The mower was to complicated but was it well made,way better than a Super but over engineering killed it.That is why the super design is so good. After owning this mower I would probably not even consider a diesel. I find a light weight package with High wheel speed can go over alot places where other slower heavier mowers will get stuck.